Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car was heavily neglected by PO and I've been dragging feet on getting it taken care of. Mostly this is due to a whirlwind of house buying and selling, and moving; etc. Anyway, I've been prudent about 2 bucket washes and at least keeping it waxed periodically to stave of any further damage. I always forget to take pics until its too late, and it doesn't help having a potato for a camera (Casio Commando 4g); but anyway, I finally caved and bought a foam gun, a DA polisher, and a bunch of gunk from Adams and went to town. I'm very happy with the results, and I feel I ended up with about a 95% correction (there's some irreparable scratches and gouges on the bumpers, along with a sandblasted/ rock-chipped hood and front bumper. It still came out really well though:

Starting with a 50/50 test

The horror

Side by side 50/50 shot

Closeup 50/50

Before

After

Only glamour shot I have. Was in a rush with family to go to a parade and didn't have time for walk-around. Annnnnndd, now the car is dirty.

Products used include a Meguiars MT300 with Adams Microfiber and orange foam cutting pads, white polishing pad, gray finish pad. Cut with Wizards Mystic Cut and Adam's cut. Polished with Adams finish polish. Sealed with Adams LPS. Waxed with Zep Carnauba.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Nice work, Sir. I have used the Adam's products to do paint correction on mine twice now. It really is amazing what you can accomplish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
PBM is the worst to keep swirl free, at least it feels like it to me. Nice work OP

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very nice! Some glamour shots would be much appreciated! Can this be done by hand? I've always been scared of the DA polisher.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the nice comments. I think good materials and tools go a long ways towards cleaning and correction. Some skill and experience obviously is important too.

Very nice! Some glamour shots would be much appreciated! Can this be done by hand? I've always been scared of the DA polisher.
I'll probably have to wash it again, but it should stay looking just as good with 2 bucket washing and my foam gun. I'll try to get some real pics in the couple days.

You could theoretically do it by hand, it would just take 10 times as long. Same thing as sanding a car for repaint. It would take forever by hand, but could technically be done. I wouldn't be afraid to try a DA or even a random orbit if I were you. I have a decent amount of experience with a rotary from my days in the body shop, and learned how to burn and not burn clear coat. That said, I hit it pretty hard in spots with the DA, and I can assure you that you run almost zero risk of paint damage by using either a RO or DA polisher. The oscillating action of both is much slower and more controlled than the rotary machine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looks great. The new rotary tools are great. I run the Porter cable from chemical guys and their hex pads.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Looking good op. I know very well how hard it is to keep up a pbm. its like a second job. : )

I got dr color chips as a Christmas gift and it works pretty well on the small dot style chips but I'd say as good as gm stuff on bigger marks. My front bumper was bad too.

As for polishers.
As stated. The da is much safer than a rotary. Its not as high of an rpm and it will stop rotating when you hit corners or push to hard. Its amazing how far they've come with detailing products. You can do a lot with a DA. There are things where a rotary is necessary but its getting better with the DA pads and I think a rotary will become unnecessary in the future. Another expensive tool is the rupes buffers. They offer the speed of a rotary and the dual action like a DA buffer. They say it won't swirl paint.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts

This guy is awesome on how to videos for auto detail. Hes the one guy i take advice from. I've been detailing professionally for 20 yrs now and there's a lot of bad advice given. Not to say its happening here. Just thought I'd share this vid with you guys.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great turnaround

·
doing stuff and things
534 Posts
man that looks great. I have LR so its not as bad for me but I would like to do this as well. I've gotten slack about 2 bucket washes as I use the adams grate in the bucket. I just have no idea where to even begin with color correction

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
just have no idea where to even begin with color correction
Watch the guys video above and others and you will. Hes great at explaining things for beginners

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great. The new rotary tools are great. I run the Porter cable from chemical guys and their hex pads.
I still have my old angle grinder/ rotary for really nasty stuff. I was using the Adams pads, but I actually just ordered some CG Hex pads to supplement them, as I've heard great things about them.

Looking good op. I know very well how hard it is to keep up a pbm. its like a second job. : )

I got dr color chips as a Christmas gift and it works pretty well on the small dot style chips but I'd say as good as gm stuff on bigger marks. My front bumper was bad too.

As for polishers.
As stated. The da is much safer than a rotary. Its not as high of an rpm and it will stop rotating when you hit corners or push to hard. Its amazing how far they've come with detailing products. You can do a lot with a DA. There are things where a rotary is necessary but its getting better with the DA pads and I think a rotary will become unnecessary in the future. Another expensive tool is the rupes buffers. They offer the speed of a rotary and the dual action like a DA buffer. They say it won't swirl paint.
If I get into this more, or garner any kind of following or business, I'm sure I'll be stepping up to something even better. For now, this Meguiars should suffice. I still need to do my truck and Monte Carlo yet, and it looks like some of my family are already liking how the G8 turned out too.

https://youtu.be/yvy5YztoGBM

This guy is awesome on how to videos for auto detail. Hes the one guy i take advice from. I've been detailing professionally for 20 yrs now and there's a lot of bad advice given. Not to say its happening here. Just thought I'd share this vid with you guys.
Always great to catch up on vids like this and see how different people get things done. I seem to pick up small tid-bits and tips here and there from every one. Thanks for sharing!

Great turnaround
Thanks, it was a lot of work.

man that looks great. I have LR so its not as bad for me but I would like to do this as well. I've gotten slack about 2 bucket washes as I use the adams grate in the bucket. I just have no idea where to even begin with color correction
A good buddy of mine a couple years back, scoffed at me for using 2 buckets (just using regular old pails until recently) and now he's changing his mind, haha. Show people the rinse water and they'll get the picture.

Nice work, 50/50 pics make detailing fun
Heck ya they do. The really showcase how bad things can be, and how good they can look afterwards.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I like meguires too. Good stuff.

As for the videos. Welcome! And yep. You can always pick up something new. I'm just careful on who i am listening too.

Best of luck on the other 2 cars!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I originally knew nothing about paint correction, clay bar, sealers and glazes. I watched a lot of The Junkman's videos as well as all of Adam's. I received the Adam's beginner set, with Porter Cable DA polisher and all the solutions and pads. I was amazed at the results. Almost every time I park, there is someone waiting by my car to ask how I keep it so shiny. They never believe that its 7 years old already.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. Finally washed it today, and re-waxed with some Adams Buttery Wax this time. Easier apply and removal than the Zep I have been using. Depth and hiding about the same. Anyway, some real pics:

Also got to try some Adams and Chemical Guys VRT/ Super VRT. Both seem about the same, but really good products. Makes the tires look new and shiny, not just wet and greasy like pretty much every other tire-wet product I've used.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
203 Posts
like mom's always say "a little hard work never hurt anyone"great job looks great

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Nice job, great shine looks like a photogragh.
I've always been hesitant (scared) to try this stuff, if I screwed up I'd cut my own throat, with results like yours may be time to get a spine....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts