Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been up and down about headers on my g8 and have narrowed my choices down to what will suit me best. I currently have 2.5 borla cat back system installed and need to know the most cost effective and easy way of getting long tubes to fit my cat back.

I've ruled out kooks mids, slp lt and the cheap manzos and pypes. As of right now DT lt's, pacesetter and TSP headers seem the best for me.

Im leaning to The TSP headers due to their stainless steel construction, primary size and the fact they can sell me just the headers without the mid pipe for 500$. I'm curious to see if the Pacesetters LT extensions 82-1168 can be used to pair the borla without having to hack or cut anything. Has anyone seen or have done this as a way to this?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I build headers as a side business and for the money and quality kooks are the way to go,, I bought a set and they went in with ease ,, for a mass production part it is real nice ,,, I couldn't build them for the money
gmonde

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Kooks won't line up with the Borla though, you'd have to mod the front section of the exhaust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oooooo man. This was one of the more frustrating parts of building my g8. I bought a solo performance catback, and then bought my headers later, not realizing how few *good* options there are to mate LT's to a catback system. I bought the kooks/solo connection pipes and they aren't great -especially since they're 3" and my catback was 2.5". I tried to adapt down on my own and it was crap. I contemplated switching to SLP LT's but couldn't give up my kooks so I ended up taking it to a well known exhaust shop who made me a custom mandrel bent mid pipe and it looks and works beautiful....but was also $400. So headers + custom mid pipe + catback = $2,000. But damnit does she sound like 'Merica.

·
Registered
348 Posts
my cat back is a corsa so I fabricated 2 sets of connector pipes, one set with cats and one with out ,,, but kooks does offer pipes that connect to the corsa exhaust

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went with the SLP from Maryland speed. Fit together nicely.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have Kooks LTs with their catted connection pipes going into Corsa catback and everyone says it sounds the best. Fairly quiet if you baby the throttle. Loud when you want it loud.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The only 2 on your short list that straight bolt up to the stock cat back are the DT's and the Pacesetters. No cats so you have to have them tuned out. Pacesetters can be ordered pre coated so they will last a bit longer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Found a sweet deal on some Pacesetters.450$ for coated LT ,connection and o2 exenstion
So you said in your OP that you don't want "cheap" Pypes headers but are buying really cheap pacesetters? Doesn't make sense to me. I believe you'll connection pipes for those too. My true pypes headers are stainless, the PS's are not. They also bolted up straight to my Borla midpipe without any issue and still make 400 wheel with a mild cam. They work just fine and the quality is good for a "budget" header.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a sweet deal on some Pacesetters.450$ for coated LT ,connection and o2 exenstion
So you said in your OP that you don't want "cheap" Pypes headers but are buying really cheap pacesetters? Doesn't make sense to me. I believe you'll connection pipes for those too. My true pypes headers are stainless, the PS's are not. They also bolted up straight to my Borla midpipe without any issue and still make 400 wheel with a mild cam. They work just fine and the quality is good for a "budget" header.
just decided to stick towards budget headers, but manzo and pypes just doesn't sell it for me. Pacesetters being the best choice. Full length runners and 3" collector. Steel quality doesn't concern me due to where I'm located.

·
Registered
270 Posts
just decided to stick towards budget headers, but manzo and pypes just doesn't sell it for me. Pacesetters being the best choice. Full length runners and 3" collector. Steel quality doesn't concern me due to where I'm located.
Didn't even think to look at your location...definitely the one downside to the pypes is that they neck down to 2.5 in the collector.

·
Registered
189 Posts
After installing over 6 different brands of headers on G8's, I hate to say the Pacesetters fit pretty nice and with their connector pipes bolt up to your factory cat back.

I have ARH on my car and they are 409 Stainless, 1 7/8", but I have their full catback to GXP mufflers and love the sound, but you will be at 2k when its all said and done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After installing over 6 different brands of headers on G8's, I hate to say the Pacesetters fit pretty nice and with their connector pipes bolt up to your factory cat back.

I have ARH on my car and they are 409 Stainless, 1 7/8", but I have their full catback to GXP mufflers and love the sound, but you will be at 2k when its all said and done.
that's impressive lol. I've read only a few issue with their connection pipes being shotty when it comes to clamping then down on the collector.You think it'd be nessacary to weld them on instead of using the supplied clamp?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts