Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spring-loaded plunger that pushes the fuel door out is broken. The lock still works.
Some of the other cars like this don’t have the lock. I believe some of the SS’s and maybe the Caprices.
On some of the forums they try to install the one from the G8 but have to wire it.
I thought if I could buy one of those latch assemblies without the lock I could use the plunger. It pops right out.
I can't find any part info on the latch without the lock.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The latch & popper configuration are common across all 3 - G8, PPV and SS, and is interchangeable.

I installed a G8 locking unit on my PPV and have the original non-locking unit--if I can find it. I also have access to a wrecked PPV that the latch could be lifted from.

I will check with my dealer to find out what the non-locking PN is.

The parts lookup/artwork for both PPV & SS (online, anyway), shows only the locking/electric latch, yet, in production, neither received that version.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parts lookup/artwork for both PPV & SS (online, anyway), shows only the locking/electric latch, yet, in production, neither received that version.
That's the problem I'm having. I can't find info on the non-locking unit.

I haven't found any others having problems with a broken plunger. Most have problems with the lock going bad. Maybe I just got a defective unit. I hate to spend $80 for the complete assembly. The locks seems to be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Best bet might be to visit a local parts department to see... 1. if the plunger is sold separately 2. obsolete i.e. not available for purchase. Otherwise, would try calling salvage yards or searching eBay for a used latch assembly which would be a fraction of a new unit. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best bet might be to visit a local parts department to see... 1. if the plunger is sold separately 2. obsolete i.e. not available for purchase. Otherwise, would try calling salvage yards or searching eBay for a used latch assembly which would be a fraction of a new unit. Good luck.
I called the dealer. Plunger was never a separate part. Sad.
I'll keep looking. More of a mission now.
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS, G8 gas doors are locking. Locked when the doors are locked.
I understand. My lock works. The plunger that pushes the door out is broken.
Some of the other cars like the G8's (PPV,SS) didn't have the lock. I just need the plunger. Take a look at the pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts