Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my '09 G8GT for 8 years. It's been a great car but I was wondering if there are any parts availabilty issues since it's getting older. I hit a deer this morning, hood, bumper and passenger fender are the areas visible damaged. Headlights are fine though they look aged and kinda wish they were damaged. Car is 100% drivable, just cosmetic and I can't open the hood. I won't be able to take it to the shop until Tuesday.

I was curious if anyone has recent experience with similar damage and if parts are readily available or if I could be waiting a while.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
All of those parts can still be had from several discount GM sources (as long as you have some deep pockets). Hood >>> # 92232814 for about $ 1002 GT front fascia>>> #92250666 for about $ 580 GXP version>>>> # 92213340 for about $ 829 Passenger side fender>>>> #92202890 for about $ 487 Drivers side>>> # 92202891 for about $ 487 Headlight assembly for Passenger side>>> #92224813 for about $ 240 Drivers side>>>> #92224812 for about $ 177. >>>>>>>>> PLUS adding on the cost of shipping, painting, labor if needed/required, etc. You might be able to latch onto some good used parts (minus the headlight assemblies) for maybe half that amount (as a guess)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd do some internet searching. Maybe try car-part.com, that will link you to a lot of salvage yards all across the country. Due to the fact that these cars are usually in pretty good shape until the get wrecked, there is a possibility you could find the parts you need in the same color and avoid having to paint anything. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Both availability and pricing are contingent upon whether you're looking to replace said items with factory new/used or aftermarket new/used tidbits. Outside of custom fabricated parts, typically new original equipment manufacturer (OEM) items will be the most expensive option of the two. Having said that, definitely recommend researching and weighing the pros and cons of each option. Is the deer accident something you plan to file a claim for on your insurance?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's going through my insurance for repairs. I just got the estimate and it's just about $6700.00. I didn't imagine it would be that much. Wondering now how close this is to being considered totaled. I've put a call in to the adjuster to ask a few questions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
It's going through my insurance for repairs. I just got the estimate and it's just about $6700.00. I didn't imagine it would be that much. Wondering now how close this is to being considered totaled. I've put a call in to the adjuster to ask a few questions.
Are they using original equipment, aftermarket or a mixture of the two replacement parts? If the former, then the estimate seems a bit more plausible. If the latter, perhaps it's a tad high, however, they could be factoring in internal damage. At any rate, it's difficult to see the exact extent of damage incurred in the image and best of fortune getting it back on the road soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the adjuster it's nowhere close to being totaled. Looking at the estimate it's the hood, both fenders, grill, bumper, radiator support, AC condenser, 1 headlight as the most expensive items. It looks like a couple items are aftermarket but most are oem.

I'm guessing that I'm going to want to replace the one headlight on my own that's not included in the estimate as the headlights did look a bit aged prior to the accident.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Fenders are like $45 on Rockauto.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Fenders are like $45 on Rockauto.
Generally speaking, insurance company's don't price shop when it comes to replacement auto parts. Otherwise, how could they justify raising insurances rates every renewal period and the "cost" of each accident, incident, theft, fire, act of vandalism, etc. is only passed onto fellow consumers. Venture to say, every part quoted in the estimate could be purchased much cheaper from places such as Rock Auto, eBay, and even Amazon.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Maybe I was more pointing out that OP should have insurance paid out solely to him and get the fenders himself. I believe he has the right to do that.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
You're absolutely right Mr. Wikoff as he could shave quite a bit of money off the exorbitant repair bill estimate.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been thinking about getting another G8, since I sold my other one a few years ago. Parts availability was one thing I was thinking about. This thread seems to have answered that for me. But with the price of replacements parts being so high, how would that effect insurance rates should I decide to get another one? Rates are typically calculated on the cost of replacement parts for said vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
I've been thinking about getting another G8, since I sold my other one a few years ago. Parts availability was one thing I was thinking about. This thread seems to have answered that for me. But with the price of replacements parts being so high, how would that effect insurance rates should I decide to get another one? Rates are typically calculated on the cost of replacement parts for said vehicle.
Insurance rates are calculated using a variety of variables, including but not limited to, cost of replacement parts, driving record, age, area vehicle will be driven or stored, and even gender. The G8 is not the hardest vehicle ever made to find parts, but locating simple things such as pins and clips can prove to be daunting tasks. Also, some insurance carriers don't offer full coverage (comprehensive and/or collision) on vehicles older than ten years. Body parts such as the hood, fender, bumper cover and mirror were produced by aftermarket company's and many are readily available at prices far less than those of the original equipment manufacturer. Thus far, biggest regret regarding the G8 was not waiting until the end of 2009 and taking advantage of the $8,000 discount General Motors was offering to "rid the dealerships" of all new remaining Pontiac's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts