Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, I’ve been recently having my car improved upon and we got to the stage of tuning. But the man tuning my car is having problems, namely with the PCM apparently being tuned by god knows who or what and being locked in. I am wondering what I can do to counteract this phenomenon, short of buying a new pcm.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If you have no idea who locked the tune on your ECM then you will probably have to get a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have no idea who locked the tune on your ECM then you will probably have to get a new one.
Well darn. Can I just straight up buy one and not have to do anything with the dealership after that and just put it in and have it re tuned by the man tuning my engine?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Tuners lock their tunes in fear of being criticized by other tuners.

Tuning is not rocket science. Never understood why locking the pcm is even an option. A locked pcm always puts a customer in a huge inconvenience. Not cool

·
every village has one
2,370 Posts
Contact Greg at Pace Performance if you need a new one. He can set you up. Not that expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got some progress. Got another e38 of second design to flash up the factory programs and talk with our hp tuning software, but it didn’t like it being that it was a gxp computer of the second design. We are pulling some more e38’s with the same part number and bench writing them back to a factory tune and then bringing them back to the shop to see if she’s gonna let us in to the ecu. Will keep everyone updated on the progress of it, but we are getting somewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anybody tried reflashing one of these "locked" ecm with dealer MDI / SPS? I've reprogrammed quite a few back to stock-OEM with (*)unknown calibrations with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they are totally bricked they are non recoverable, that was the core problem with mine. They should take a force bench write and then you have to do a write to factory with the Gm software in the car to get the engine immobilizer disabled. After that it needs a crank relearn and it should be good to go if it responds to everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anybody tried reflashing one of these "locked" ecm with dealer MDI / SPS? I've reprogrammed quite a few back to stock-OEM with (*)unknown calibrations with no problems.
If they are totally bricked they are non recoverable, that was the core problem with mine. They should take a force bench write and then you have to do a write to factory with the Gm software in the car to get the engine immobilizer disabled. After that it needs a crank relearn and it should be good to go if it responds to everything. We did this with a junkyard pcm and it worked like a charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts