Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We just purchased a G8 V6 a couple of weeks ago. What a shame they wont be shipped to North America ever again.
We wanted the the GT, however; but there scarce around my parts so we took what we could.
I'm looking to increase HP and maintain stock as much as possible. We would like to add a couple of modifications, a Mod chip and CAI.
Does anyone have knowledge of a Performance Mod chip for this V6 model? I just want a chip name and business where we can purchase or order it. What do you people recommend?
What is the best bang for buck for a CAI? I'm asking you people that have this car and what works best. Like I said I just got it.
I have looked through some of the other forms nothing really answers my questions. A lot of V6 bashing going on. LOL

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello all. We just purchased a G8 V6 a couple of weeks ago. What a shame they wont be shipped to North America ever again.
We wanted the the GT, however; but there scarce around my parts so we took what we could.
I'm looking to increase HP and maintain stock as much as possible. We would like to add a couple of modifications, a Mod chip and CAI.
Does anyone have knowledge of a Performance Mod chip for this V6 model? I just want a chip name and business where we can purchase or order it. What do you people recommend?
What is the best bang for buck for a CAI? I'm asking you people that have this car and what works best. Like I said I just got it.
I have looked through some of the other forms nothing really answers my questions. A lot of V6 bashing going on. LOL
Congrats on the purchase. You will love the G8. In regards to CAI you have a few options. A few go with Roto Rab and others got with K&N and I am sure there are a few other out there. And a few of us have built their own. I would just do some searches on the board and you''ll have enough to read for a few days and go from there.

In regards to the Performance Chip... We are all still looking!! There is nothing really out there worth the trouble that I am aware of. Dont go and buy one off of ebay that will will connect to the MAF sensor/AIT. Just isnt worth your time, hastle or money. I have been down that road and just dont do it.

Good luck on your mods. If you find a performance chip worth your time please post we'd be interested in hearing about it. Like zepcom posted Trifecta is the only thing we really know about.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Need pictures!!

If you google search "trifecta" you might be able to find some info on the only-known chip upgrade for the v6 croud. Ya see, the V8 varients get the Delco E38 ECM which is very modification friendly, however the g8 v6 was burdoned with the Bosche variant to support the 3.6L engine, and it's very hard to reverse engineer that ECM. Trifecta did it iirc, but you gain ~10-15 horsepower for a total outlay of >500 bucks... not very cost effective.

trifecta-on-the-internets said:
UPDATE (01/03/10) Trifecta Tunes 2008 Pontiac G8 V6 (remotely)!!

Trifecta now offers custom tuning for the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 with the 3.6L (LY7) engine. We remote-tuned a 2008 Pontiac G8 in Ohio and dramatically improved power and reponsiveness, according to the owner of the vehicle! We're currently looking for somebody in the Seattle area with one of these cars, so we can put it on the dyno and generate some actual dyno results! If you want one of our new LY7 tunes and live in Seattle, please send us email! Also looking for: 2008-2010 Cadillac CTS, 3.6 (LY7), 3.6 SIDI (LLT)
You can check out some of what other v6'ers are doing...headers, CAI, and exhaust are available if you look deep enough.

And with all forums, the "big boys" who want to show off their v8 often come into v6 threads with the "why didn't you get a v8" questions ... that's just how forums are. Yes, I drive a v8, but I don't flaunt it. Best of luck to you in finding the modifications that fits your needs.

--zepcom

·
Registered
491 Posts
There isn't really a mod chip for the V6. There is some garbage on ebay that doesn't work, or at least hasn't been dyno proven to make any difference.

Your biggest performance boost will come from a CAI. To my knowledge only Roto-Fab and K&N make one for our car. They are essentially the same design, but the Roto-Fab is certainly fabricated better, although it's more expensive. Also, Roto-Fab is a small company with cool staff and I like supporting small businesses.

Deleting the mid-muffler and resonators on the exhaust will also help everything flow better, and will probably improve fuel economy slightly. The exhaust will be better sounding as well.

A company called Trifecta produces a tune but the benefits are minimal. The LY7 is already pretty much already optimally tuned from the factory, and there is very little play available for adding performance unlike the L76 engines of our big brothers. The tune will allow you to modify the torque management settings, however.

Very few people have their V6s tuned, and none of them are on this board that I'm aware of. When I go to Seattle here in the next month or two I will probably be the first one here to have it done, and we will have some accurate dyno results to go off of. $400 is not cheap for a tune that will give you 6HP or so. We'll see what difference the torque management modifications make.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You could also get a pulley that will be good for a few horse....

·
Registered
947 Posts
Welcome! CAI, Axle back exhaust (Try Solo) and take a look at Schwartz's video. And the pulley, might get you an extra 15 HP.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Welcome and the others posting in this thread speak the truth,the LY7 is pretty much all tapped out.CAI,Solo Axle backs and UDP is about all we got,Trifecta tune is 400 but 15 more ponies.So shine her up and enjoy.

·
V6 power
139 Posts
anyone have a website for pulley :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Your best bet is to look for posts by Hazer and Schwartz Bad Karma those guys have gone big time in the performance aspect with the V6's.... Hazer was the 1st to get Headers both Schwartz and Bad Karma have really upped the ante with their exhaust setups... like King said as well as Zepcom who is a huge help to all of us a CAI be it RotoFab or K&N is a good start Roto Fab is a little more expensive than the K&N but both do the trick... also look into getting Solo's for the V6 who designed a setup for our cars...

Best of luck and welcome aboard you will really enjoy the car...

·
V6 power
139 Posts
well thanx for the info and for being so nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a site that claims they have a performance chip for the Pontiac G8 V6. AutoChip Direct ACD sells for 69.99. 3 to 5 MPG improvement on gas mileage and up to 40 hp may be possible. Have any of you tried this chip? Can you please post actual results?
Thanks,
Owen

·
Registered
645 Posts
I found a site that claims they have a performance chip for the Pontiac G8 V6. AutoChip Direct ACD sells for 69.99. 3 to 5 MPG improvement on gas mileage and up to 40 hp may be possible. Have any of you tried this chip? Can you please post actual results?
I'm not going to say I know this tune. I have absolutely no clue about it directly. However, I will say that those are some VERY drastic improvements they are claiming. 5 MPG better is around a 33% improvement. 40 hp is around a 20% improvement. I would take those claims with a grain of salt, especially for the price. If something like that actually existed for these cars, people would be trumpeting it from the mountaintops around here. Anything that's that much of an improvement for that little cost is basically unheard of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a cut and past of info from ACD regarding the G8 performance chip:
About the PowerBOX Performance Module:
Our Pontiac G8 Performance Chip utilizes the latest in performance technologiy. PowerBOX Chips send a unique modified signal through an engine data sensor. This signal causes your factory Engine Control Module to reprogram itself for a more efficient air/fuel ratio and timing curve. By doing so, we're able to safely unlock up to +40 Horsepower and up to +8 MPG in your vehicle!
Our modules never bypass, deactive, or exceed factory limitations. That being said, this is perhaps one of the safest upgrades you can do to your vehicle!

What should I expect after installation?

Up to +40 Horsepower
Up to +50 Ft.Lbs of Torque
Up to +8 MPG Fuel Savings
Feel the Horsepower & Torque across the entire rpm range
The ACD PowerBOX is designed to SAFELY retune your vehicle's air/fuel ratio for more power and more gas mileage. After installation, your vehicle will run at an “optimized” air/fuel ratio, allowing it to run smoother and more efficiently. Our chips also increase your vehicle’s torque throughout the entire RPM range. We guarantee our products to increase your fuel mileage and power output or your money back. Our chips have been time tested by tens of thousands of customers around the world, and have proven to be the ultimate solution in aftermarket tuning performance. The PowerBOX can be seen around the world, used in thousands of cars, totaling millions of miles. Real Performance – PowerBOX.

Do you think is is worth a try?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would NOT do this. I'm betting it will turn out to be a waste of money.

·
Registered
436 Posts
@Owen, I hope you didn't buy one. Like the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. It's either A: it really works and it's missing a digit in the price or B: it's a fake.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
All performance chips = Cow chips. NONE work. You can not spoof the engine into making more power. You need a tune. tuners can pull 15-20 hp above the stock tuneby reprogramming the PCM. A simple plug in chip is going to do more??? NEVER. Only a sucker would waste the money to find out.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I would say anywhere between 10 to 15 horsepower.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts