Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to get a better insight as to my best options performance wise for my G8 . Bought it about a month ago and I really do want to make it up to par with everything out now, especially the infamous 5.0 Mustangs . I've seen people go supercharger, procharged, turbo charged . Need a better understanding of what route I should go without going full racecar . Bought the car with a resonator delete and a OTR Varam intake . Got recommendations to give it a tune first to get better acquainted with the car . Not sure yet need to figure this all out a lot better ! All help is welcome, thanks for time taken in response !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was hoping to get a better insight as to my best options performance wise for my G8 . Bought it about a month ago and I really do want to make it up to par with everything out now, especially the infamous 5.0 Mustangs . I've seen people go supercharger, procharged, turbo charged . Need a better understanding of what route I should go without going full racecar . Bought the car with a resonator delete and a OTR Varam intake . Got recommendations to give it a tune first to get better acquainted with the car . Not sure yet need to figure this all out a lot better ! All help is welcome, thanks for time taken in response !
Bolt on mods like exhaust and headers, then get it tuned. After that if you want to go further, gather all you need for a DOD delete and cam job. Blower would be your next step after that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention I have athe 6.0L, wasnt fortunate enough to come across a GXP with the beloved 6.2L !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bolt on mods like exhaust and headers, then get it tuned. After that if you want to go further, gather all you need for a DOD delete and cam job. Blower would be your next step after that.
Sounds good defintely gonna save up for some headers and full exaughst ! Any recommendations as to what headers ? I've seen whole alot of kooks headers . And as for the rest of the exaughst ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forgot to mention I have athe 6.0L, wasnt fortunate enough to come across a GXP with the beloved 6.2L !
That reminds me, if you want something that can run with a Mustang, getting the GXP (or 5th Gen Camaro) rear differential along with what I listed above will help out as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds good defintely gonna save up for some headers and full exaughst ! Any recommendations as to what headers ? I've seen whole alot of kooks headers . And as for the rest of the exaughst ?
Kooks for headers, Solo for exhaust is the popular combination. Solo has the entire decibel range covered depending on how loud you want your set up. Street Race is their loudest, Mach Balanced is their quietest and they have a couple other choices in between those.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really appreciate the input, Now I got a better understanding as to what exactly I need with what combos ! Excited to see the diffrence hoping to take my car to the strip soon to watch my starting numbers !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, what did you end up doing to your car?
I have a g8 that I bought new. It has 63000 miles and I would like to boost the performance a bit. Am thinking of a cai(which is best?), Tune(where do I get?) And fastback exhaust( which is best?).
I am in Chicago burbs if there is a good shop anyone knows of.
Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, what did you end up doing to your car?
I have a g8 that I bought new. It has 63000 miles and I would like to boost the performance a bit. Am thinking of a cai(which is best?), Tune(where do I get?) And fastback exhaust( which is best?).
I am in Chicago burbs if there is a good shop anyone knows of.
Any input is appreciated!
I ended up getting a Vararam Intake from what I heard you cant beat the over the radiator intakes as they're more direct and all the fresh air already coming in . Cut my mid muffler and resonator off replaced them with a 3 inch straight pipe . Tuned it a bit after with a friend of a friend . But I'm sure you can find a performance shop that'll be more the happy to tune it these cars are completely diffrent beasts tuned with all you can get with even a simple street tune this is why I waited no time to tune it I'm sure you'll be amazed. I just bought some headers nothing to expensive couldnt find it in me to spend 1,300 on the higher end headers like Kooks or American Racing which I'm sure they're great but Read a few forums and it seems to be an only 10 to 15 hp diffrence in a pair for 400$ . As for exhaust, solo axle backs are real popular and great for eliminating any exhaust drone when you get on the louder side of the exhaust . But besides that depending on how loud you really want to go there's alot of good options and there is really no "best" in my eyes just really comes down to personally preference most of the time it's just a change of tone .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts