Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I stopped by a local performance shop to do some spending. I asked for a small cam upgrade granted I have never done this before I was a little nervous. Well they emailed me an estimate and I was like whoa....I wasn't really expecting this price. Does this look right? Or am I being taken advantage of. Let me know. Or should I buy little bit her and a little bit there and then take it to get done and worry about labor only....thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Sorry trying to figure out the post a pic stuff...i might have to type it out...
Try clicking on Go advanced. Manage attachments. Then select the file you wish to upload.

·
F1rehawk
766 Posts
Im also curious to see how much you have been quoted. So far my best quote for a full Stage 2 cam install and all support mods was 4200 CAD (3300 USD), parts, tune and labour included.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
My local shop (that does a ton of heads and cams) quoted me $3750 for a DOD delete and tune just to give you some context.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added the estimate to the original post but I put it here for good measure. I already bought a used Rotofab intake and installed it myself but a lot of this seemed more than I anticipated.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So the quote is from Dedicated?
$2,500 of it is exhaust and intake parts. All parts are quoted at retail and the labor hours are out of a book. 18 hours for a cam and headers (at $120 an hour) certainly isn't cutting you a deal. Your other option is to buy used parts from the forum and try to find someone local to install them for less.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
DFW has an active Facebook following if you are into FBing.
You might want to check out what there is to offer in the Metroplex area, may be worth the drive up I-35.
Hell, for the price quoted my be worth the drive to Champion Motorsports here in Toronto.
They're in the +/-$4000 range and you'd win with the exchange rate for a Little Lunati set up.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Is the price difference between new and use LSA injectors substantial enough to justify re-using old ones? Would suggest shopping around not necessarily looking for bargain basement prices, but a more reasonable work estimate. Their markup is reminiscent of some Firestone receipts I have seen.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I can't imagine any performance shop spending 6 hrs on headers, especially if they have a lift. 12 hrs on the cam is reasonable if you count the time it takes to rebuild the trunnions, pull the heads, torque to spec, etc. but I'm assuming you've already had a DOD delete based on the estimate. Keep in mind, you may limit your options if you take used parts to a shop.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
DFW has an active Facebook following if you are into FBing.
You might want to check out what there is to offer in the Metroplex area, may be worth the drive up I-35.
Hell, for the price quoted my be worth the drive to Champion Motorsports here in Toronto.
They're in the +/-$4000 range and you'd win with the exchange rate for a Little Lunati set up.
With the exchange rate that would be pretty close. US Dollars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts