1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Sporting the GXP
1,468 Posts
Looks very good. That's what it should have looked like from the factory. How much did you lower it and do you have any clearance issues now?

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Down about .7 in front and 1.2 in the rear. There are other springs for the rear that don't lower it much at all, if any.

Spacers. I've thought about them. Not sure. i have 18" wheels with better offset for my winter tires. Maybe next year I'll replace the 19s.

·
AFM Master
1,323 Posts
Looks almost as good as the red. :)
j/k looks great.

·
H-Town Attention Whore
595 Posts
I officially hate you and you suck, no really you do! :)

·
Sporting the GXP
1,468 Posts
Do you have clearance issues now?

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
Not that its ugly, and not that im criticizing u, but why does everyone seem to wanna lower this certain car? To me this isnt the type of car to get lowered since this is a full size. I'd expect that from a small or eurosport car, but this is an american(somewhat...:aus_flag: )full size sedan.

·
Sporting the GXP
1,468 Posts
I am not one to lower a family sedan but I think the amount that he lowered his car is acceptable. If it was slammed it would be a different story. If it's lowered for functionality over form and it doesn't compromise the ride and usability of the car then I say go for it.

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO, GM puts them too high to begin with. Look at a number of European sport sedans. I think manyt are closer to my lowered G8 than not.

If by ride quality you mean insolated with not precise road feel or feedback maybe suspension changes aren't for everyone. I've lowered 3 cars, a GTI, a GTP Comp G and now the G8GT. In all three cases I replaced the OEM dampers with higher quality dampers when I replace the springs. The GTI got Koni and Suspension Tech, the GP got GXP Bilsteins and Eibachs and the G8 got a Pedders system. Both the GP and the G8 rode better, IMO, than stock. The GTI was adjustable and handled better but was boarderline too firm if the adjustment was set to best control the springs. The dampers are so much better than OEM that they can better control the car without being harsh. Just firmer with much better road feel and control. The Pedders is by far the best for handling, feedback , control and compliance. I guess it is because they designed the spring rate, damping rate and drop as a complete system and also installed new suspension bushing to remove unwanded suspension deflection. The drop in the from is about .7" and in the rear 1.2". It took 1/2" of rake out of the stance but still left some rake. It wasn't lowered for looks as much as it was to get the center of gravity down.

Hey, some like it, some don't. No problem. I was after M series handling without being Audi S-series harsh. I think I got it AND I think it looks better than when its stance looked like a 4-dr Cobalt, no offence to Cobalt owners.

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think that it's possible to lower a car without having the ride quality deteriorate.
You should find a Pedders dealer and drive a Pedderized G8. You might be very surprised. Everybody on this board with a Pedders Street or Track system says the same positive things about the handling and the ride. I'm not saying if you hit a pothole you won't feel it. You will. You can't have good road feel and a numb, over-isolated suspension at the same time. Drivers need to choose what is important to them and act accordingly. If they like Buick ride-quality, more power to them. If they like m-series road feel and performance, more power to them. Their money, their choice, their car.
I would never say what is right for me is right for everybody else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts