Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have a picture of the underside of the upper trim? Perhaps if someone has a pair lying around they could snap a pic?

·
Pontiac Crazy
397 Posts
I'm assuming you're looking for a pic of the clips? This is from my brand new set of black trim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I am and thats perfect, thank you... never seen a fastener like that. guess ill try and see if i can track down something similar.

·
Pontiac Crazy
397 Posts
I assume you broke a few, I can try to salvage as many as possible when I pull my factory ones. I had fairly good luck last time when I took them off to be wrapped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I havent touched mine as of yet. I almost pulled the trigger on a black set recently but personal circumstances put a halt on that, but it got me thinking these past few days why someone hasnt offered a cheaper alternative? say out of carbon fiber? pretty sure one could piece together the necessary items to mold and make them for the cost of a upper trim replacement. so i think ima try my hand at it. just wanted to figure out what fasteners they use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey YutzyBrian - where did you locate the black window trim? Recently purchased a G8 GT and my lower trim is shot. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can send my way!

·
Pontiac Crazy
397 Posts
Actually I havent touched mine as of yet. I almost pulled the trigger on a black set recently but personal circumstances put a halt on that, but it got me thinking these past few days why someone hasnt offered a cheaper alternative? say out of carbon fiber? pretty sure one could piece together the necessary items to mold and make them for the cost of a upper trim replacement. so i think ima try my hand at it. just wanted to figure out what fasteners they use.
Carbon fiber would definitely not be a cheaper alternative...

Hey YutzyBrian - where did you locate the black window trim? Recently purchased a G8 GT and my lower trim is shot. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can send my way!
I got lucky and a guy from Florida was selling a few sets, picked it up at the Holden Extravaganza in Valdosta, GA this weekend. Your best bet to get a set is to hit up Marc from Commodore Specialties (wolfman1192 is his name here on the forums)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
92207444 Reveal Molding Retainer FRONT
92207443 Reveal Molding Retainer CENTER
92207442 Reveal Molding Retainer REAR

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been trying forever to find someone to sell me (used but in great shape to include the rubber seal not dry rotted) the chrome piece that goes along the lower side of the drivers side passenger window. That ONE is the only one on my car whose seal is dry rotted and I don't want to pay for a whole new set nor do I want a black set. Every time I see that someone is parting out a G8 I message them and most times they do take the time to check and theirs are always dry rotted also.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I have no idea what you think a good used trim strip for that location should go for. You can of course just buy a brand new OEM for about $79 plus or minus $3 plus whatever other charges they add on (like tax an shipping, if any).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since we're on the subject, can someone explain how the lower ones come off?

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
It says to remove that outside rear view mirror to start with (not sure IF that's mandatory). Then (with the glass at the full down position). pull up on the trim to release its retainer. It looks/reads like the front trim piece use's just one retainer that looks to be about 2" from the aft trailing edge. That may mean that the outside mirror assembly takes care of securing the forward end of the trim piece. The rear doors show a retainer at both ends of the trim piece. I don't know if fingers can do this, or that some improvised tool is required to disengage the retainer.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I've been trying forever to find someone to sell me (used but in great shape to include the rubber seal not dry rotted) the chrome piece that goes along the lower side of the drivers side passenger window. That ONE is the only one on my car whose seal is dry rotted...
Can try gtog8ta.com, cheapestgmparts, eBay, or etc. for the trim. Bear in mind, the price of brand new reveal molding is a bit rich. Imagine most used ones would be in similar dry rot condition. Awhile ago, had the same thing happen and decided not to replace the trim. Instead, carefully ran a razor blade across the top and removed the rotten portion on all four doors. Problem solved and it took less than five minutes.

Since we're on the subject, can someone explain how the lower ones come off?
https://www.g8board.com/forums/42-canada/261394-new-g8-window-trim.html

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Try Holdenpartsusa.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
GTOG8GTA has them in stock in both chrome and black. Black is sold as an entire set while you can buy the chrome individually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
ekt8750
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing