Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one goes out to you Colorado Springs area owners (or immediate area). Our family will be vacationing in the area soon and I'm thinking about making the drive up Pikes Peak in the G8. I am familiar with the road as I have been up it as a teen with my family at the time, although I see it has been paved a bit more since I was up it last. I do know that it will run us about 30 bucks to drive it and will take a while to get up and back. What I would like to know if anyone has driven it recently, condition of the road (paved and gravel sections) and best time to make the drive, morning or afternoon, stuff like that. Let me know if you have in your G8 or any other vehicle for that matter. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Moderater?
89 Posts
I have lived here for 6 years and still have not been up there. If I remember to go this weekend I will let you know about the conditions.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments so far guys. We will be leaving this weekend also. Probably make the trip up Pikes Peak sometime during next week. The G8 is going to feel like a dog at that altitude I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They just had the pikes peak rally...dunno what it does to the roads...looked good on tv tho

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, here's a couple of shots. Yes I know the car is dirty. (the road afterall is unpaved for several miles) Yes I know my angles and pictures suck. (Give a flatlander a break I can walk about 50 feet at this altitude and feel lightheaded.)

Got to pass a slow moving cement truck on the way up and a crawling Dodge truck on the way down. Talk about being down on power. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
awesome... Ill be headed up there next month!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Give a flatlander a break I can walk about 50 feet at this altitude and feel lightheaded.

Got to pass a slow moving cement truck on the way up and a crawling Dodge truck on the way down. Talk about being down on power. ;)
How was the drive? How bad was the unpaved sections? I'm tempted to do it at some point, but I'm leaning towards waiting until the paving is finished.

-Todd...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Drive isn't bad...most of it is paved now...next summer it should be paved all the way up.

If a dirt road scares you then head up towards the Denver area and go up Mt Evans..fully paved...just as great views.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts