Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all - I've got the SC 91 tune, and I can hear distinct pinging in the highest rev bands 5k to 6000k. It's pretty distinct and rattly, only at the very top end, and it doesn't always happen, and it seems to be a lot less worse when the a/c is shut off. Does this make any sense? Any suggestions? Should I head down to the dealer?

It's a 91 tune, so half the tank gets filled with 89, and then the other half is 93 which I hope mix together under driving conditions to make 91. Is it maybe that the 89 was first, and maybe the bottom of the tank is to low in octane?

I'll probably drop it back to stock and see if it happens there.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Did you stand on the back of your trunk and jump up and down to mix the fuel? Or you could have grabbed your wife/gf and jumped in the back seat and, well... you know...:boink:

that usually does a good job of mixing the fuel :gr_devil:

anybody else up wayyy to early on a sunday a.m. with nothing better else to do but be on the g8board?

seriously... i'm going to put together a poll about how much time we spend here...:coffee:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, good point. Maybe I'll put a really long stick in the tank and swirl it around. Pretty dumb, I suppose. Not sure why I was thinking it would mix together well. I'll drop the tune back to stock and save my engine the grief of my silliness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why not just run straight 93 if it's available? I use to mix 91 and 100 for a blend of 93 in my sti and never had a problem (83k on the OD). I would put more of the 93 in so hopefully the det stops.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure hope it's my fuel or fuel mix. I'd known other people who did this who never seemed to have a 'mix' problem. Otherwise I will be more than a little concerned. I de-tuned to stock, and I'm going to go wot here there around town and see how it sounds.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Just run 93 fuel, it's not worth the hassle of mixing fuel to save a few bucks and damage your motor.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ yes, I agree. If I had know this might be an issue, I never would have considered a 'mixing.'

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
^ yes, I agree. If I had know this might be an issue, I never would have considered a 'mixing.'
before you do that, perhaps you outta talk to your wife... explain to her the need for special type of mixing... ha!:wink2:

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Juicy juice, mmmmmmmmmm :yumyum:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well then, let the mixing commence!

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
:worthless: :popcorn2:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you choose to post photos of the mixing... please explain that no faces will appear on the board... :gr_devil:...and pullleezzee... none of you steveua:drink:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay fine. I had a friend drive the car while we did the 'mixing.' you'll find that I am fairly agile.

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
I've heard of a trunk monkey, but never 2 hood monkeys monkeying around, LMAO!!!!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sounds like the superchips tunes timing map might be a little on the agressive side. For you to hear the pinging/detonation it makes me wonder what they did to the IAT and Knock Retard tables, under stock conditions the ECM should be catching that KR and retarding the timing enough so that you dont hear anything.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
^ Oh, shoot, somebody got serious. Yup, I was thinking of some of the same stuff - tune (detuned) to stock, no pinging at all, not even at WOT. Makes me a little worried about the quality of the spark mapping for Superchips, maybe some corners where cut who knows. I will try again by loading the 87 tune - if all is fine, I'll fill er up on 93 and do the 91 quicktune and see if i get a repeat. Sounds like may be a couple of Superchips engineers may a couple of Knock Retards themselves....just kidding SC, don't infect my tuner with a ricer virus that makes may car grow giant stating-the-obvious decals and !FAIL! intakes sprouting into the passenger seat....I love my Superchips!:drink:

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
I don't get any knocking running the Superchips 93 tune and 93 fuel.

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
Why are you using 91 if SC has a 93 tune and your gas station has a 93 gas. Try that and see.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because the 93 tune sucks if you don't have a CAI, in my opinion. I get much better numbers & 'grunt' with the 91 tune. But everything is cool, back to stock and no pinging. Next gas tank, I'll put in all 93 and be good to go. Or maybe I'll try the 87 tune for a while. Who knows. Gas is getting expensive again.

·
2009 G8 GT
339 Posts
Run a tank of 91 through it fill up with 91 again re load the tune and see if its pining. There is no sence running 93 on a 91 tune, its a waste of money and could even cause a small decrease in power. If it still knocks running 91 try a different brand of gas, or call SC themselfs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
7 Participants
Blackrider
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing