Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many spray cans of Plasti Dip should I buy to temporarily clear coat the front of my daughter's Subarus? Probably only doing the front back to the crest of the wheel arches and across the hood. I am researching Clear Bras and I am not ready to bite off that kind of $ right now (if ever). $900 to protect a $23,000 car? Not me. So for now I want to just coat the front of their CrossTrek and Forester to get them through this dreaded black love bug season.

How glossy or matte is the clear? Anyone ever used the glossifier they sell on top of clear, and what results have you had using it? THANKS!

·
Lift Him Up
279 Posts
its all about the amount of coats you put on. the more you put on, the better it protects and the easier it is to remove. maybe 3 cans to be safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I sprayed my G8 I used over 6 gallons. The removal was OK. There are still spot that were problematic and a couple places I haven't completely cleaned off because it was coming off in little pieces. I don't know that your going to get a real clear glossy finish. I've heard Fonzi at dip your car mention that it's not intended as a clear bra.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
I used the clear on my wheels after a black and metallizer base it it really doesn't work well. It looks ok for a bit, but is almost impossible to keep looking shiny or clear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I just am trying to get them through the next 3-4 weeks of black bug season, then peel it off. It is not perfect, but accumulative black bug damage is worse. I'll give it a try and report back. Ordering 3 cans for the CrossTrek as test car.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
If you are going to use the glossifier as a clear bra, it won't work. It's a topper for existing dip and is too thin on its own. You would have to lay down a base of regular dip and then use the glossifier.
You might try 3M Paint Defender Spray.

·
-
120 Posts
If you are going to use the glossifier as a clear bra, it won't work. It's a topper for existing dip and is too thin on its own. You would have to lay down a base of regular dip and then use the glossifier.
You might try 3M Paint Defender Spray.
Correct, glossifier is not a stand alone product.

If it's temporary, just spray-dip a black bra. The neighbors may laugh, but it will be worth it when you peel it off, take the bugs with it, to uncover protected and clean paint.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Or just dip the whole car :grin2:

I would shop around for a good ExPel dealer. Get the grill done. The price you were quoted is way high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts