Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it all began a couple months ago when I tried to plasti dip my chrome door trim. On my second coat of dip I realized it was very "textured" or "orange peel" like...then a gust of wind blew some of my masking paper directly into the plasti dip, and that was that. PEEL IT OFF.

So a couple days ago i decided to try plasti dip again, but on my wheels. I figured I had a better understanding at how to apply it now.

Well, as it turns out I am CRAP at plasti dip.

I quit:whine::judge:

I did 2 wheels, (only 1 pictured) one with 6 very light coats, and the one pictured, with 4 decent coats.

I can rattle can the **** out of anything and make it look awesome, but I guess plasti dip just works differently.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How warm was it outside? Typically, people are seeing much better results when the can is 60 degrees or warmer. It seems to spray more evenly. Some guys are putting the cans in a cooler with hand warmer to bring them up to temperature on days that are cooler than 60 degrees.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
dipyourcar dot com. You will find your answers there!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was at least 70 degrees out. I have read articles, and watched plenty of youtube videos, I was probably just doing something slightly wrong. Honestly though, I'm not even looking for advice to fix my technique. I hate the stock 18" wheels anyway, I was just bored. I'm just sharing my experience here, because there was probably some other guy with the same problem that was too embarrassed to post his results.

I have no shame in my work. I am an extreme perfectionist, and I take pride in that :)

Im sure if i played around more I could have figured out what I did wrong.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
I've found you have to be REALLY patient with layering plastidip. If you put too much, too quickly, too wet, in one place, then the solvent that's in the can keeping the rubber as a liquid will actually eat into the dried layers you've already laid down and cause spotty bubbling. It's actually really hard stuff to work with.

Once - ONCE - I managed to get a texture on a piece of trim I was mildly happy with. I still ended up replacing it because it wasn't quite right. So to those who can work with it... I salute you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've found you have to be REALLY patient with layering plastidip. If you put too much, too quickly, too wet, in one place, then the solvent that's in the can keeping the rubber as a liquid will actually eat into the dried layers you've already laid down and cause spotty bubbling. It's actually really hard stuff to work with.

Once - ONCE - I managed to get a texture on a piece of trim I was mildly happy with. I still ended up replacing it because it wasn't quite right. So to those who can work with it... I salute you.

Glad I'm not the only one :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like to think I'm good with dipping things. Did my gf's rims an door trim which turned out nice an smooth. Also did fellow member scoobs scoops an spoiler both nice an smooth. What I've found is take your time an layer it, don't get in a rush. Also make sure to keep some distance, you don't want to spray right on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might be spraying too far away from the wheel. The farther away, the more texture builds up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Plasti dip is easy....smooth motions about 6inches away i actually dont even wait for coats to dry i just keep going until paint ect is not seen ..I love this stuff did alot of family cars and never had issues...I would post pics but I cNt on my phone..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts