Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or can someone take photos of their plastic cowl that is below the windshield. I had my windshield recently replaced at Safelite and now there's a gap like previously mentioned on some threads. I want to compare because the tech is telling me it's normal to have a small gap.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Doesn't look normal to me. Might settle some after being in the sun. My experience is that many of the fasteners don't survive the removal process so it doesn't go back with the proper fitment.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
If everything is secured properly before an after a windshield change, that cowl vent should be a snug fit to the glass. My take, is that if the left and right windshield rubber reveal molding is flush an tight to the *A* pillar and fender as well as to the windshield, the glass is probably set correctly. I know there have been several members (who have had their windshields replaced), have trouble with that cowl fit. I believe most if not all, found the cause to be broken/damaged, or missing retainers. I seem to remember that GM classifies these retainers as a one time use only item. Kinda makes it sound like they will automatically break upon removal. If you know that cowl was tight to the glass prior to its replacement, you really ought to see if that glass installer will correct this mistake. If no joy, they show that 4 different types of retainers are used in securing that cowl. I can not tell how many of each is required, or where they are positioned under that cowl. The P/Ns listed are #1--92138942 #2---92138946 #3---92138966 #4---92139032. Looks like *each* retainer costs about $3.50 plus or minus a little

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If everything is secured properly before an after a windshield change, that cowl vent should be a snug fit to the glass. My take, is that if the left and right windshield rubber reveal molding is flush an tight to the *A* pillar and fender as well as to the windshield, the glass is probably set correctly. I know there have been several members (who have had their windshields replaced), have trouble with that cowl fit. I believe most if not all, found the cause to be broken/damaged, or missing retainers. I seem to remember that GM classifies these retainers as a one time use only item. Kinda makes it sound like they will automatically break upon removal. If you know that cowl was tight to the glass prior to its replacement, you really ought to see if that glass installer will correct this mistake. If no joy, they show that 4 different types of retainers are used in securing that cowl. I can not tell how many of each is required, or where they are positioned under that cowl. The P/Ns listed are #1--92138942 #2---92138946 #3---92138966 #4---92139032. Looks like *each* retainer costs about $3.50 plus or minus a little
The tech told me that he replaced the clips only on one side, which doesn't make sense, why not replace all of them? So he switched all of them out with new ones and it still wasn't flush with the window.

He then said he could raise the window a bit, which I think it should be raised anyway because I was having a hard time fitting my Weathertech sun shade.

He kept trying to tell me that other cars have this issue even if it's new and has had its windshield replaced. I'm going back tomorrow to have the windshield raised a bit, but I highly doubt that'll work.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I just picked one GM parts source at random, and it shows that all 4 of those retainer P/N's can be bought thru them.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
When installing a new windshield, it says to apply a urethane bead that is 7mm wide by 14 mm high into the pinch weld. Maybe your installer elected to save some money by *not* using enough adhesive, and the windshield settled down to deep into that pinch weld. That could easily cause a gap to appear at the glass to cowl location, as well as taking away the clearance between your IP pad an glass, which sounds like what you are experiencing. Especially, if you know that all the fasteners/retainers are in fact OK.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Amazing---- I see that PACE is pretty much showing these retainers as discontinued. But the 3 GM sources I randomly checked just now, show that all of them have all 4 versions if needed. They were gmpartsdirect, gmpartseast, an gmpartsgiant. If I had any of these in my hand (to see their actual shape), it very well could be that places like Amazon or Fastenal could sell you these exact copies for 90% less (all be in bulk like 25 or 50 to the box) .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They need to replace all clips with every new windshield on these.
When installing a new windshield, it says to apply a urethane bead that is 7mm wide by 14 mm high into the pinch weld. Maybe your installer elected to save some money by *not* using enough adhesive, and the windshield settled down to deep into that pinch weld. That could easily cause a gap to appear at the glass to cowl location, as well as taking away the clearance between your IP pad an glass, which sounds like what you are experiencing. Especially, if you know that all the fasteners/retainers are in fact OK.
UPDATE: So I took the car in today and there was a second tech (who I'm guessing is the boss) along with the original tech who installed my windshield. They said that the clips they were using were non-OEM, so that now that have to go check the dealership to see if they have some and if not, they would order them.

I also mentioned that the windshield needed to be raised because my sunshade would not fit correctly. The original tech was adamant about him installing my windshield correctly, but that's not the case. It's obvious that my windshield is lower than before. I'm hoping that they raise it using the method @GOPHERIT mentioned.

Man, I knew that getting my windshield replaced was going to be a hassle, but didn't expect it to be rocket science. :banghead:

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
More than likely, they broke your cowl clips when removing the cowl, or didn't pay attention and didn't put the clips back in the proper locations. I would ask to have all clips replaced....and if that doesn't solve the issue, have the entire cowl replaced.

The clips are pricy and the cowl is around $700.

This may help

The red and blue clip shown in the picture is actually orange and blue...
Here's some info on the clips.

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
Just an FYI
92139032 - Discontinued
92138966 - Discontinued
92139033 - Discontinued
92138946 - Discontinued

When looking up the parts I suggest looking it up as a PPV. GM lists different part numbers.
-Greg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an FYI
92139032 - Discontinued
92138966 - Discontinued
92139033 - Discontinued
92138946 - Discontinued

When looking up the parts I suggest looking it up as a PPV. GM lists different part numbers.
-Greg
I can't seem to find them under PPV

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update: so I went back today and they supposedly replaced all of the clips. It looks a little better but still needs work. I asked the tech to raise the windshield, so he said he'll try it on Monday.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
If they are going to re-position the glass (which sounds like it probably needs that done), wouldn't that mean the cowl has to be removed yet again. If that is so, might that mean that they better have a nice supply of the various fasteners handy when its time to reinstall that cowl *again*.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably if they're one time use only. I don't think this is going to end well for me. It seems like they're not very familiar with my car at all.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
18 Participants
GXP25
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing