Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is wavy as well. I was told "the sun will warp them and there is not much you can do but replace the cowl". At $700 to replace it I'm hoping for a better solution.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: so I just got home from Safelite and they have raised the window and the cowl looks better although there is still a large gap. There is considerably less wind noise, but it still rattles because I'm pretty sure they reused the clips. And to top it all off, they completely mangled my molding. I know it's sun damaged and it tends to crumble, but I mean it doesn't even look like there was an attempt at carefully pulling it out. I'm just fed up with this BS. I've been there about 5 times and you would think they would just replace the entire thing or just give me my money back. Idk what to do anymore...

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I'm just fed up with this BS. I've been there about 5 times and you would think they would just replace the entire thing or just give me my money back. Idk what to do anymore...
So ask them to either replace the whole thing or else give you your money back. Bettter yet, ask them to pay to have somebody else fix it, who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So ask them to either replace the whole thing or else give you your money back. Bettter yet, ask them to pay to have somebody else fix it, who knows what they are doing.
My concern was that maybe they would try to say that they're not responsible since it was sun damaged.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My crowl is only held held in by 2 clips and I remove it like every week and it sits perfect maybe your crowl is just damaged

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I called their "Executive Services Representative" (whatever that is) and vented my frustrations and they referred me right back to the tech. They actually made it worse by damaging my windshield moldings and the cowl is still not flush and still creates a lot of wind noise. The tech is going to come and look at it tomorrow, so we'll see what he says this time. If they don't fix it this time, I'm not going to take it back anymore.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any local G8s by you that can stop by when they do the install. Perhaps they can use another as a reference. My left and right windshield trim was faded. Bought some new ones pretty cheap from gtog8ta.com.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
did they use a acoustic glass windshield ??

mine sits flush with the glass , and if any cars plastic was gonna warp , it would be mine , car has spent its whole life in the desert , in las vegas , and now in phoenix

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any local G8s by you that can stop by when they do the install. Perhaps they can use another as a reference. My left and right windshield trim was faded. Bought some new ones pretty cheap from gtog8ta.com.
I don't know anyone with a G8 here. If anything I'd rather install the trim myself than to risk them messing it up again.

did they use a acoustic glass windshield ??

mine sits flush with the glass , and if any cars plastic was gonna warp , it would be mine , car has spent its whole life in the desert , in las vegas , and now in phoenix
I'm not sure if they did, is there anyway I could check?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
search here for pics , but there is a symbol on our glass , if they dont use the acoustic glass , the wind noise goes up alot

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
search here for pics , but there is a symbol on our glass , if they dont use the acoustic glass , the wind noise goes up alot
Are you talking about the Saint Gobain Sekurit sticker/symbol? I knew about that, but is there anyway to check an aftermarket windshield?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
the new should have the same on it , or similar

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
good luck !!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So the tech came out to look at my car today and he said that it is acoustic glass. I told him about the moldings on the side of the windshield and he said that they have too much sun damage and that they start to fall apart, which is true as most of us know. So I'll be looking to buy some new ones here pretty soon. And as far as the cowl goes he said that it was the best he could do since the sun had taken its toll on it as well. I asked him what was I supposed to do? Just deal with it? I asked him if he could replace it and he said it would be up to the general manager. He said he would get back to me by Friday, so we'll see.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have had my glass replaced years ago. Have the original moldings and cowl. No warping or sun damage.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does the new cowl come with the clips?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
One would hope that GM would supply that cowl *with* all the necessary retainers attached to it. But the IPC gives the impression it does not. This allows them to take several more $'s out of your pocket, for those grossly overpriced retainers that you just have to have. If you need to get a new cowl, one part is shown as fitting *all* the G8 years and versions. The price at the discount GM parts suppliers is about $213. Then again, maybe GM actually has a kinder side, and includes all the needed retainers attached to that cowl when boxed up. P/N92215638

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
18 Participants
GXP25
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing