Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
One would hope that GM would supply that cowl *with* all the necessary retainers attached to it. But the IPC gives the impression it does not. This allows them to take several more $'s out of your pocket, for those grossly overpriced retainers that you just have to have. If you need to get a new cowl, one part is shown as fitting *all* the G8 years and versions. The price at the discount GM parts suppliers is about $213. Then again, maybe GM actually has a kinder side, and includes all the needed retainers attached to that cowl when boxed up. P/N92215638
Do you know if anyone has it in stock? I looked up the part number and a lot of GM parts websites show it, but it says it's a special order part.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
All I can say, is keep searching sources. Maybe one or more actually have it in stock locally. But if you really need one, an it has to be back ordered, so be it. At least you would know that you *can* get one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
All I can say, is keep searching sources. Maybe one or more actually have it in stock locally. But if you really need one, an it has to be back ordered, so be it. At least you would know that you *can* get one.
I found one on eBay, but Safelite doesn't want to buy through eBay due to warranty issues or something.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
best to talk to your local GM dealer , they will tell you whether the parts are available in the US , and give you a idea on how long before they can get them in from a order

other wise is your just gonna waste time playing guessing games

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
best to talk to your local GM dealer , they will tell you whether the parts are available in the US , and give you a idea on how long before they can get them in from a order

other wise is your just gonna waste time playing guessing games
I'll try tomorrow. The Safelite GM had told me that he tried every local dealer and that nobody had it. I'll confirm tomorrow because who knows if he even tried.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
dont forget to ask about any stock they can order in , most dealers only stock popular needs , and rest they order from larger warehouses GM has across the US

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know it's been three months since someone posted on this thread but I want to share my intel since I had the exact same problem. I had my windshield replaced in late May. Safelite did a great job with the windshield install but my windshield cowl did not sit flush afterwards. #1, they didn't use new clips and #2 the windshield cowl was damaged as a result of how they removed it. As soon as someone pulls up on the edge that fits flush with the windshield, it's game over. Your cowl is done.

After talking with Safelite they acknowledged the issues. Oddly enough they bought a new cowl but not new clips. I decided to let them use a complete set of clips I had ordered a couple years ago. Everything went well with the install of the new cowl until the next day I tried to use the windshield wiper fluid: no fluid. Obviously the hose was disconnected. I looked for where it was disconnected, found where but couldn't find both ends, so I called Safelite and they told me to some by the shop the same day.

Here's where things went from bad to worse. The tech couldn't connect the windshield wiper fluid hose either because it was next to impossible to see. In hindsight we should have used a mirror but instead, to my dismay, he removed the entire cowl. Fortunately I had a SECOND set of new clips on hand but I certainly wasn't happy that we had to use them. There were a couple of times where the tech started to pry up on the edge that fits flush with the windshield and I stopped him. Unfortunately when it was all done the washer fluid hose was fixed, but only most of the cowl fit flush. A large section of the far end of the drivers side did not. No good.

I decided to remove Safelite from situation. They did a great job on the windshield install but I need to oversee the installation of the cowl myself. Considering how much research I've done, I should have a Master's Degree.

Despite the cost, I ordered a new cowl which is actually two pieces plus the required seal. They cost me $418.31 shipped. For the record, they do not come with new clips.

GM 92215638 - Windshield Cowl, Large
GM 92191077 - Windshield Seal

GM 92184976 - Windshield Cowl, Small

There are three clip types you need to install the cowl:
(6) GM 92138942 (yellow/white)
(4) GM 92138946 (black/white)
(2) GM 92138966 (blue/red)

The fourth clip type (GM 92138627) can be reused. They are solid black and you need (6) of them. You are most likely familiar with them if you have ever changed out your air cabin filter.

From my own experience GM92138966 (blue/red) is discontinued in the States. The other two clip types are available but they are both very expensive buying from GM dealerships or on Ebay.

This is where OZ Auto Moulds & Rubbers in Australia saved the day. The bad news is you have to buy packs of 10 but the good news is the total cost is much cheaper than buying them in the States. It cost me just $62.30 for 30 clips shipped.

To the best of my knowledge here is the correct clip placement:

Engine bay with cowl removed and clip placement:

I hope this helps others since there is no clear documentation from GM. I want to thank Crazy Paul and Jeff (aka 08G8V8) for sharing their experience and insights.

I am planning on installing the new windshield cowl today, for the first time by myself. And yes, despite all this clear documentation I'm nervous as hell. :)

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I know it's been three months since someone posted on this thread but I want to share my intel since I had the exact same problem. I had my windshield replaced in late May. Safelite did a great job with the windshield install but my windshield cowl did not sit flush afterwards. #1, they didn't use new clips and #2 the windshield cowl was damaged as a result of how they removed it. As soon as someone pulls up on the edge that fits flush with the windshield, it's game over. Your cowl is done.

After talking with Safelite they acknowledged the issues. Oddly enough they bought a new cowl but not new clips. I decided to let them use a complete set of clips I had ordered a couple years ago. Everything went well with the install of the new cowl until the next day I tried to use the windshield wiper fluid: no fluid. Obviously the hose was disconnected. I looked for where it was disconnected, found where but couldn't find both ends, so I called Safelite and they told me to some by the shop the same day.

Here's where things went from bad to worse. The tech couldn't connect the windshield wiper fluid hose either because it was next to impossible to see. In hindsight we should have used a mirror but instead, to my dismay, he removed the entire cowl. Fortunately I had a SECOND set of new clips on hand but I certainly wasn't happy that we had to use them. There were a couple of times where the tech started to pry up on the edge that fits flush with the windshield and I stopped him. Unfortunately when it was all done the washer fluid hose was fixed, but only most of the cowl fit flush. A large section of the far end of the drivers side did not. No good.

I decided to remove Safelite from situation. They did a great job on the windshield install but I need to oversee the installation of the cowl myself. Considering how much research I've done, I should have a Master's Degree.

Despite the cost, I ordered a new cowl which is actually two pieces plus the required seal. They cost me $418.31 shipped. For the record, they do not come with new clips.

GM 92215638 - Windshield Cowl, Large
GM 92191077 - Windshield Seal

GM 92184976 - Windshield Cowl, Small

There are three clip types you need to install the cowl:
(6) GM 92138942 (yellow/white)
(4) GM 92138946 (black/white)
(2) GM 92138966 (blue/red)

The fourth clip type (GM 92138627) can be reused. They are solid black and you need (6) of them. You are most likely familiar with them if you have ever changed out your air cabin filter.

From my own experience GM92138966 (blue/red) is discontinued in the States. The other two clip types are available but they are both very expensive buying from GM dealerships or on Ebay.

This is where OZ Auto Moulds & Rubbers in Australia saved the day. The bad news is you have to buy packs of 10 but the good news is the total cost is much cheaper than buying them in the States. It cost me just $62.30 for 30 clips shipped.

To the best of my knowledge here is the correct clip placement:

Engine bay with cowl removed and clip placement:

I hope this helps others since there is no clear documentation from GM. I want to thank Crazy Paul and Jeff (aka 08G8V8) for sharing their experience and insights.

I am planning on installing the new windshield cowl today, for the first time by myself. And yes, despite all this clear documentation I'm nervous as hell. :)
Very nice info.!

Would you mind attaching/uploading these images to the server for safe keeping?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I really need a new windshield, but I'm scared they'll screw up the cowl. What to do, what to do. And unless I'm reading it wrong, discountoeparts.com shows it has all the clips for about $3.68 a piece. Comes out to about $55 with shipping.

And yes, post #47 needs to be a sticky if it isn't already one.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I really need a new windshield, but I'm scared they'll screw up the cowl. What to do, what to do.
make sure they will pay for it , if they screw it up

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I really need a new windshield, but I'm scared they'll screw up the cowl. What to do, what to do. And unless I'm reading it wrong, discountoeparts.com shows it has all the clips for about $3.68 a piece. Comes out to about $55 with shipping.

make sure they will pay for it , if they screw it up
And avoid Safelite like a plague! I gave up dealing with them and just left it. The gap isn't too bad now, but still...

·
Registered
702 Posts
And avoid Safelite like a plague! I gave up dealing with them and just left it. The gap isn't too bad now, but still...
I think I'm going to go to a local glass shop that's been in business forever and talk to them about it and show them this thread and ask about the clips and if they'll order them or just try to wing it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am starting to feel this way. After personally reinstalling the new cowl last weekend and the result being a warped cowl that didn't sit flush on the drivers side I went back to Safelite. They visited yesterday, checked everything out and concluded that despite all the clips being secure, the cowl is warped. They are going to order another new cowl and this time, new clips.

This will be the last time with Safelite, unless they don't mind the cost. Personally buying windshield clips and cowls has become a serious money pit. My last resort: I luckily found a great local shop here that I trust with my car. They have a lot of tech talent, including a glass guy.

·
Registered
112 Posts

If your windshield cowl fits flush now then remove it yourself before whatever glass shop you end up using gets involved. The rule to removing the windshield cowl is don't pull up on the edge that fits flush with the windshield. Don't even touch it. :)

Once you remove the solid black clips on top of the small cowl (6 + 1 on the underside of the large cowl (driver side)), use a clip removal tool to loosen/break the white/black clips that secure the small cowl. You can see them through the 'grill' of the small cowl. You can then pull it up from the far side and the edge closest to you as you face the engine bay.

The yellow/white clips that secure the large driver side cowl are hard to get at but you can see them. Same advice applies.

In the end always work slowly and methodical. Massage it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very nice info.!

Would you mind attaching/uploading these images to the server for safe keeping?
I'm a tech guy but had no idea that G8 Board had a server. Unless this is just an option when you add images to a post. Or if not, I might be too junior to have access to it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
^^^^^ I guess I'm fixing to order a complete set of clips and plan on removing the cowls myself. Yikes.
Do I need that seal too? 92191077

·
Registered
112 Posts
^^^^^ I guess I'm fixing to order a complete set of clips and plan on removing the cowls myself. Yikes.
Yes. It's designed to protect the HVAC unit from water. If your existing one is in good enough shape, reuse it or buy a new one.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well, that didn't go as planned. Got a message today from discountoeparts saying they couldn't get anymore of one of the clips and had to buy another one in lots of 10 and if I wanted to pay for 10. Now I'm really not looking forward to getting a new windshield as bad as I need one. Crap.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It appears the clips are available at ozautomoulds.com.au, but I've sent them a message about shipping to the States. Patiently waiting.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok. Here's the deal. The clips can be bought at ozautomoulds.com.au, but you have to email them to place the order for them to give you the international shipping rate to your address. They only sell in lots of 10, but they have them all. I'm waiting on their reply for shipping rates. I'm buying a set.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
18 Participants
GXP25
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing