Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been looking at dipping the roof on my G8. My father (an auto body mechanic) has been painting for 20+ years and wanted to give it a shot himself.

He's using a primer spray gun with a 1.8mil tip, spraying roughly 6 inches away, but we're seeing loads of overspray, resulting in a lot of "dust" appearing in the paint.

After chatting with the gentleman that I bought the gallon of dip from, it didn't seem like any special gun or additional steps were required.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be occurring?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Sounds like the dip is drying before it hits the car. The experts are at Dipyourcar.com. I would check with them. Try their Facebook page.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sounds like the dip is drying before it hits the car. The experts are at Dipyourcar.com. I would check with them. Try their Facebook page.
This, I would just call. There are actually some gun tip specs for proper spray.
Sounds like maybe too much pressure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
boosted
83 Posts
Are you using regular PDS or pro line? PDS is not meant to spray with HVLP, even with a big tip you are going to get speckling everywhere, you can try thinning it with xylene or naphtha and lay it on wet.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
This, I would just call. There are actually some gun tip specs for proper spray.
Sounds like maybe too much pressure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup. I should've said that first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts