Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the transport from UT to TX it seems that the fuel door flew open and got lost. What can be done about it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
You could see *if*, "fbiss" will respond to a PM from you. He also has a problem with the fuel door. He might be able to help you along, if he has had some good luck trying to find a good used door/cover. If no help, you *can* buy a new cover (which would still have to be painted to match). An if your door opener assembly did not survive, you can buy that also. There are some P/N's posted within *his* thread, about his gas door/cover problem. An in the future, if any more transporting of that car were to take place, you best have the doors locked. That wound then also lock the fuel door closed, an prevent *it* from taking a hike.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
That blows man. Good luck with finding one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did not realize it when I put the car on the truck. I should have taped it shut. The car was transported with the rear facing forward. The trucker told me that he had some very strong headwinds when he entered Texas and I think it was there when the wind got underneath and opened it and blew it away. The mechanism is in place, just the metal cover is blown. The trucker was very upset, since he told me that the car was the nicest car he transported in a long time. :)

I have found a black one on ebay and ordered it immediately. I have found 3 (red, black and white) at a yard in Alamo, TX but they do not want to ship (????). Alamo is 8 hours away from me. I might take the trip with the car, kind of a long trip, but, hey! it might be worth it.

Do we have any members in that area who could give me a hand? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
This yard has never heard of Fedex or UPS, tell'em to ship it collect probably cheaper than the drive, although not as fun as taking the G for a rip.
As GOPHERIT said if the car was locked the gas door should have been locked unless your actuator is not working.
I had my fun with the gas door actuator....

·
Registered
318 Posts
How does the Metal skin even attach to the mechanism? Looks likes it's bonded, may have to get the entire assembly.

Looking for parts in AU I noticed fuel doors seem to be a very popular selling item. THink they are a common thing to fall off.

OP if you cannot find any locally do not rule out importing one from AU

Find an auction like this: Black Fuel Door in AU That does not charge any local shipping.

Sign up with a service like AUSFF (use the $5.00 off code to get their services basically free for one package) and get an Australian address to ship the auction item to. They receive the package and then forward it to you. Shipping to the US maybe in the the $40 range (cheaper if you can get them to remove the door from the mechanism and just ship the door) but still cheaper than getting it repainted.

BUt looks like you are on to some local items. Good Luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well according to this post: Gas Door Falls Off at Carwash!! - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum the fuel door is not very well attached. It does not look like it was glued to the hinge, I think it is more like (not sure what the exact term is) 'clicked'. I will get the black one and I will see. I am thinking on buying a 'G8' chrome cover which will soften the contrast. Maybe somebody has one for sale as the new one is quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I'm unable to find any information in the service manual on replacing the cover itself. They only tell you how to replace the cover, and opener as an assembly. But since you can just buy the cover by itself, you know it can be removed and installed to the opener. My take is that the plastic opener either has about 3 push tabs to engage receptacles designed into the cover, or maybe some L shape tabs at the hinge end (that are slotted into place), and a push tab to secure, at the opposite end of the plastic opener assembly. (this is just a guess of course).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just looked at mine. Aside from what looks like the tabs you mentioned there seems to be a small rivet in the lower corner securing it. I could see that snapping in a high wind situation. This is on a 11 caprice, wonder if the rivet was an upgrade from 09?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread....are the fuel doors from a Caprice the same as the G8s?
GMPartsDirect has NONE for the G8s but has some for the Caprice. (Mine flew off today, GRRRR)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread....are the fuel doors from a Caprice the same as the G8s?
GMPartsDirect has NONE for the G8s but has some for the Caprice. (Mine flew off today, GRRRR)
Yep the are the same. ANd I think in later years there will be a hole on there for a shallow rivit that prevents the fly off.

Edit. Actually the more i think about it I know the latch s the same but am not sure on the cover. Might be a difference with the body line that runs through it. G* have a bod line right though the fuel door correct? Or is it just flat?

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
There is a dedicated P/N for the Caprice PPV fuel door, as well as a dedicated P/N for the SS. They are both different than the P/N assigned to the G8, that is no longer available. Maybe you could PM "GXPaycheck". At the present time, he owns 2 GXP's an a Chevy SS. Maybe you can get him to carefully check an verify if the fuel cover (an its attached hardware), appears to be the same (as in diameter, raised style line designed into it. an its overall profile, etc) between the 2 models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since NOBODY on 5 boards/groups would sell me a gas door I ordered a Caprice PPV one from GM parts direct. I got home at 530 this morning and saw it came. Immediately I put it to the car to see how it fits. I didnt know how it attached, so I took hinge mechanism off. Well...guess what?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Great it all worked out and certainly a nice tidbit of information for others going forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im gonna pop it off and try to match it to the car with duplicolor paint. Then use some kickass epoxy and that self tapping screw. NOT interested in buying another. Lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Since NOBODY on 5 boards/groups would sell me a gas door I ordered a Caprice PPV one from GM parts direct. I got home at 530 this morning and saw it came. Immediately I put it to the car to see how it fits. I didnt know how it attached, so I took hinge mechanism off. Well...guess what?
Glad the PPV fuel door fit. Is the correct part #92219639?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
G8NotV8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing