Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about traded my SBM GT on a 2014 AWD Durango Hemi Ciitadel w/27k mileage for $37k. Please, please talk me out of it, I know I'll be kicking myself later! I'm moving to a new house that's approach to the driveway puts the G in such a twist that one tire leaves the ground and has scraped backing down on the rear diffuser before. Also, both families own farms and just would cringe at driving down a gravel road. I hardly drive it in fear of door dings, crappy drivers, rough roads, etc.

Reason why I may not do so is I have ONE more payment left, Id rather have the R/T model in a lighter color, last week that dealership had some hail damage and the hood got a few hits (maybe several thousand off) it's been sitting on the lot for several months. My idea was to offer $14-15k difference, w/53k on my G8.

Or maybe I should find a beater?

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For this:

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am biased toward GM / Ford products, but i would never buy a Chrysler product. The vehicles i have had in the past that were chryslers, dont hold up well, and their quality of materials used to build the car sux azz. I had a Durango that had a bad casting in the cylinder block and had thin cylinder walls that wore a pin hole in the cylinder. I also had a Dakota, that had the brake caliper pistons break in half while pushing them back in with the old pads, so they could be replaced. My mom had a Intrepid that had engine problems all the time and my uncle had a Charger that had a valve bust out of no where and take out his engine. I would never again own another Chrysler / Dodge product. But if you must, its your choice, your money......

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I work for Chrysler so I'm no help. I like my g8 more than any dodge I've driven though.

Ps if you decide to get the Durango and plan on keeping it long term shoot me a pm. Not trying to sell you anything but I can help you out.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My dad use to own his own transmission shop and between the trucks, vans, neons and caravans they kept the shop afloat for a long time. That reason alone I'd never buy a dodge product. No car brand is perfect, but some are definitely better than others.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came from a family that never owned dodges, but my brother-in-law's family is a Chrysler family. He's owned all his caravans til 200k, right now he has a 2007 Hemi durango that only thing he's done is change oil (free w/dealer), tires, and brake pads and he's at 220k, his dad had a road runner that had 420k prestine miles before he was rear ended. While my sisters 2 Oddesy's have only made it to 70k before crapping out. Every comany has its issues, GM just doesn't make a SUVs for a decent price that gives me the fiz. Traverse is a glorified minivan, used TBSS only seats 5, Tahoe is enormous, Ecoboost Flex would be nice but I 'hate Ford'. Really like Grand Cherokee but no more room than our G inside, I thought the Durango would be the best of both worlds hp and family compatible.

What I really would have rather done is buy a $3-5k Land Cruiser beater, but wife wants to only have 2 cars. Our G is more sentimental than just a awesome ride - when I lived in OZ I went to the Auto Show unveil of the VE in Brizy, and still reminds me of my time over there (good memories of my youth) also my wife and I bought it new with the money from our wedding when my Olds Calis engine locked up. So it really would kill me to get rid of it, but it doesn't make since if I can't drive it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think people don't like Ford's because they aren't simple to work on. I work on them on a daily basis, and i can say that GM and Chrysler's are far more simple and easier to work on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It sounds like your mind is already made up. I love mustang (had 4 of them) I tried the truck route with an f150 but not long in realized I'm not much of a truck guy. I do miss the sporty 2 door manual trans etc..... but I love my g8. In the end you have to find something that works for you in your daily life. I'm trying to stay the course I've been in and out of 5 cars the last 8 years and my wife says I need to pay something off and own something. If your g8 is almost paid off there is no way I'd trade it in and get shafted by the dealership.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If your g8 is almost paid off there is no way I'd trade it in and get shafted by the dealership.
This. There is a LOT to be said for having a car paid off and not having that monthly payment for a while, especially a car you love.

I'd try to convince the wife to accept a third car and get yourself a beater.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I but wife wants to only have 2 cars. Our G is more sentimental . So it really would kill me to get rid of it, but it doesn't make since if I can't drive it.

If you own it with one payment, and is not in need of any major repairs. Makes sense to consider keeping it. If wife doesn't want third vehicle. Ouch. I wish you luck. Happy wife, Happy life.
You can drive it, but choose not too, based on new situation.

You ask for someone to talk you off the ledge. Yet it seems that your mind is set on getting rid of the G8. If you can't afford to have a third car both personally and financially, You will not be able to be talked off the ledge. You have to have the option to keep the G8 or move on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
428 Posts
The sad thing is they are only going to want to give ya $13-$14K for your car. I know a few of us that would gladly give ya $16K for it. Can I be first in line?:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get both! I would never give up my SBM. We did just order a '15 R/T w/Blacktop package last week though. The new Durango's are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I work for Chrysler so I'm no help. I like my g8 more than any dodge I've driven though.

Ps if you decide to get the Durango and plan on keeping it long term shoot me a pm. Not trying to sell you anything but I can help you out.
Dang it!!!! Where were you a couple weeks ago when we placed an order for one?

·
Tin Indian
440 Posts
If its farmland, cut a new access road that is easier on the car....I know I know, easier said than done. Guarantee it would be cheaper than a whole other car though haha.

·
Importkiller
211 Posts
I live on a farm on gravel roads for the last 5yrs. been thru a gto, camaro ss and now the g8 gt. not much of a issue because I go about 10mph down the 1mi. of gravel road that I have to go down when Im in the g8. I do wash it alittle bit more then if I lived on paved roads. I woud keep the g8. You'll miss it. And just buy a 4x4. even if it's alittle older. I have a 99 f150 4wd.I paid cash for. for a bad weather driver. If you go that route just think of the more mods you could do without another car payment.. Just read where you hate ford. But we also had good luck with troopers and now the wife drives a xterra. It's been a good suv also.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have an extra vehicle, as long as you have room for it without having to pay for storage. My dad had a '76 Malibu that I would have LOVED to have for a first car. Unfortunately, my mom made him get rid of it when I was about 10 or 11 because he was supplied a work truck and the car just sat most of the time. Fast forward to when I'm 18; his company closes and we only have one vehicle to split between the both of us. He got a new job, I had a job and was attending college. The triangle between home, his job, and the town I worked and went to school in was about 65 miles. Not a fun situation.

All of this to say that you can never know when you'll need an extra vehicle. Maybe one of your DDs breaks down or gets in a wreck and insurance won't pay for a rental. Maybe you keep the car for the next 15 years and when it's time for your kid to get their license, you're not in a position to afford to buy them a car - but you already have one, so you don't have to worry about it.

Most insurance companies will even offer a significant discount if you have the vehicle parked and only drive it occasionally, so you might talk to your insurance company to see what kind of deal they can offer if you park your G8.

If it's not clear by now, I also am in favor of the "keep the G8 and find a lower-cost DD that you love" idea. These Pontiacs are badass cars. I understand the Commodore is pretty common in Australia, but it certainly isn't here. And don't get me wrong, I really dig the Durangos, but I would ONLY consider trading a G8 for one if it came in SRT trim... which it doesn't.

Another alternative - spend a couple thousand dollars on having the driveway entry re-paved for a more car-friendly surface.

·
Confident Member
361 Posts
Keep it! You'll hate yourself and spite your wife for letting the car go for that tank.

You'll have to explain to her how financially damaging it would be trading that car off and the loss you would likely receive as a result. That's no good for a young family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts