Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just quickly looking to improve performance of the stock brakes. Cruising Rock Auto i noticed bendix fleetmetloc and police specific brake pads. Does anyone have experience running these? I only care about performance and dust/rotor wear is not really a concern.

Current pads are ok, but car doesn't stop well, and ive changed the rotors so all calipers and sliders have been looked at.

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
Subscribed. Would like that info as well. I know Raybestos and AC Delco make Police components as well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Want to know also. The factory pads never had good initial bite.

Carbotech 1521s are written up here on the forums are so good that you have to change your braking style (for lack of a better term). But a set is over $300 so brake pads better than factory and pocket friendly would be nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol ok so I guess ill be a guinea pig and try them. Ordered!!!
And yes i have stock GT BRAKES and there is a police formula pad from Bendix (rock auto).

I have read that 2014+ caprice ppv has dual piston and giant rotors, sub 2013 caprice has big rotor single piston. Info from rock auto and the internet so I could be wrong.

=D

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
It's guaranteed fitment on RockAuto so I'm confident these pads will fit the G8 stock caliper. They were listed under the G8 GT components as well.

I may go with AC DELCO severe duty rotors + Hawk Pads. If I can get my hands on those damn rotors they are always out of stock.

Anyone heard good or bad things about the S GROOVE design?

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
All those parts listed are for the GXP. Does OP have a GT or GXP?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Has the GT

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Any brake pad brand that has 1351 for ft pads and 1352 in the rear pads part number will fit the stock GT calipers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes its just a GT. Previous owner I think put low end ceramics. I personally like the feel of semi-mets as well as cleaner rotors 😉

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
Tell us how they perform once installed. Maybe they are as good as Hawks...who knows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Upgrade your stock brakes

Use Hawk HPS pads, stainless brake lines and racing rated dot 4 brake fluid and you will be amazed at the difference. You need a scanner to cycle the ABS system to make sure you have replaced all the brake fluid when power bleeding the brake system. I am still using the stock rotors due to low mileage on my G8 GT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use Hawk HPS pads, stainless brake lines and racing rated dot 4 brake fluid and you will be amazed at the difference. You need a scanner to cycle the ABS system to make sure you have replaced all the brake fluid when power bleeding the brake system. I am still using the stock rotors due to low mileage on my G8 GT
Ive used both HAWK HPS and HP+ on my skyline. HPS are horrible when cold; almost went through a stop sign. HP+ on the other hand are fantastic(but very dusty and noisy); insane bite when cold and worked well on lapping days untill i boiled my DOT4 fluid. I changed to Bosch 5.1 and was fine the following lapping day

G8 got a four corner bleed with Bosch 5.1 the amazing thing is these BENDIX police pad feel identical to the HP+ unfortunately with the brake dust too. Just for fun I went to 180kph and then hard brake to 20kph, twice, no fade. (In Mexico)

Here's the thing
BENDIX:
$120 shipped front AND rear pads

HAWK HP+
$120 front
$120 rear

And bendix has been tested by the police. By all means go for hawk pads, we all know they are great, I just found what i believe is a cheap alternative

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I have read that 2014+ caprice ppv has dual piston and giant rotors, sub 2013 caprice has big rotor single piston. Info from rock auto and the internet so I could be wrong. =D
PPV front brakes - 2011 to 2017 all the same:
- Rotor is 345mm x 30mm

- Caliper is single-piston floating design, uses a high-performance pad with Ferodo HP1000 friction material--same material spec as used on Brembo brakes found on G8 GXP & Chevy SS sedan.

Pad is FMSI D1404 spec.

Standard G8 rotor is 321mm--a good upgrade for G8 is fitting the full PPV front setup, or using the PPV 345 rotors with Brembo calipers from 2016/newer Camaro SS or CTS (calipers for 345mm rotors, direct bolt-on to sedans). For G8, caliper mount bolts require opening 12mm holes in knuckles/spindles to 14mm.

Full details - the key to any brake upgrade is a larger rotor, regardless of caliper design or number of pistons.

More info & photos - Caprice Forum

Photos below show couple of Camaro 345 Brembo (4-piston) calipers with 2 different paint schemes - also available in a Cadillac CTS version, with yet another paint job. These calipers can use either D1001 or D1474A pads, from CTS-V/G8 GXP or SS sedan. Both photos show D1474A pads--with D1001 pad, top surface of caliper is flush for wheel clearance on 18" wheels.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
11 Participants
whatnext
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing