Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, Texas speed stage 1 cam, built valve train, built transmission, H&R Coilovers
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently installing poly Subframe Bushings, and I noticed something I think might be a problem. The metal insert for the front bushings doesn't come close to the end of the bushing. I've read that this insert should span the whole bushing. I'll link photos for reference. This picture is from the bottom where the washer should slot in. Do I have to make something to extend the insert? Any info appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Does the other side sit flush with the surface of the bushing? Picture?

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, Texas speed stage 1 cam, built valve train, built transmission, H&R Coilovers
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does, I can slide the insert to whichever side to make it flush, and that is the amount out gap there is. I can get a picture tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
For comparison, images of BMR and SuperPro.

Circuit component Automotive tire Passive circuit component Audio equipment Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Pony has posted two different styles. The black ones are the inserts. They fill the gaps in the original bushings. The purple one are complete replacement bushings. I have done the insert style on both of G8's I've had. I found they make the ft and rear suspension feel the same with no rear end wiggles on fast off ramps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pony has posted two different styles. The black ones are the inserts. They fill the gaps in the original bushings. The purple one are complete replacement bushings. I have done the insert style on both of G8's I've had. I found they make the ft and rear suspension feel the same with no rear end wiggles on fast off ramps.
I've noticed not many people have done the full poly bushings. I did them because I had to take the old ones out before powder coating anyway. They don't seem to sit flush on either side, so I'm not sure if I should cut an insert from an old one and extend the new one so it sits flush on both sides, or if I should just leave it. If I leave it, when torquing the bolts, wouldn't it just squish the bushing and never get tight?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Make sure you have the right end facing up, and note that the bottom washers have a cup or top hat shape to them. And I think some or all of the bolt locations on the bottom of the car body have standoffs that would suit a recess in the bushing.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I do have them installed correctly, I just installed the upper control arm poly bushings and they are also short, I have to believe this is normal since these also are like that.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Don't have the old bushings to compare?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, I had them installed wrong. The way they were packaged was decieving, I had both bottoms in the back, and both tops in the front. All good now.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Good deal you were able to sort it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts