Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pontiac G8, the brand's last hurrah before GM completely discontinued its operations, is now subject to recall due too concerns regarding the front passenger air bag module.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the air bags may suffer from a possible delay in airbag deployment at the moment of a collision, causing it to fail compliance with federal standards for head injury protection.

GM aims to reprogram the sensing and diagnostic controls of the airbag. To date, no injuries have been reported as a result to the delay and malfunction.

More: Pontiac G8 Recalled For Delayed Airbag Deployment on Autoguide.com

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
Thanks alot for the information!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Service Tech Approved!
532 Posts
I had mine in monday and my dealer looked at me funny when i mentioned the recall. They assured me they ran it through the computer and nothing came up. But then again they have told me I drive a G6 too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had mine in monday and my dealer looked at me funny when i mentioned the recall. They assured me they ran it through the computer and nothing came up. But then again they have told me I drive a G6 too.
Good ol GM...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I asked about this as well when I took mine in for strut mounts and I was told the news finds out before dealers do. I asked if they could do it and he said no...not until it is in their computer and when they enter my VIN it will come up. They had to order the strut mounts and I am hoping it is in their computer before they come in. I would like to try to avoid another trip to the dealer.

·
vroomvroom
115 Posts
do you suppose that the second hand dealer where i bought my GT would be able to fix this problem or would i have to find a pontiac dealership? i guess the easiest way to fin out would be to ask them..

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
do you suppose that the second hand dealer where i bought my GT would be able to fix this problem or would i have to find a pontiac dealership? i guess the easiest way to fin out would be to ask them..
Most probably you''ll have to take it to a GM dealership, i.e. Buick, Chevrolet, GMC or Cadillac in order to have the recall performed. I highly doubt a "second hand dealer" will be able to perform the recall for you, let alone do it free of charge. GL!!!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
Airbag reprogram available

The airbag reprogram is available at dealers as of 11/21/2011

Tech accesses the airbag control module from side of console for the reprogram, they only had to move a side panel, nothing else on the console is disturbed.

Very painless

Now G8's can protect 5th percentile females (about 100lbs / 5ft tall)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

Tech accesses the airbag control module from side of console for the reprogram, they only had to move a side panel, nothing else on the console is disturbed.

Very painless

Thanks for the update, need4spd... and sorry about the mixup with the locked thread. Looks like this has been fixed now.

--zep

·
Registered
134 Posts

Very painless

I hope everything goes smooth for me. I take mine in for warranty work tomorrow and I was told if the recall doesnt show when they enter my VIN they wont do it. I just want to avoid a pointless trip to the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts