Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Easily the best thing to come out of the now-defunct Pontiac brand in recent memory was the G8 sports sedan – based on the Australian Commodore. Not only was it an impressive performance machine, but it gave North America a taste of just how good a job Holden is doing down under.

Looking to satisfy that appetite, General Motors will reportedly re-introduce the rear-drive sedan in 2013 as a 2014 model year car. According to GMInsideNews, internal documents regarding the development of the car (code named 'SS Sedan') now have it listed as an approved program.

Delayed several times, the new launch date is designed to follow with the introduction of a new Commodore in Australia.

With the Pontiac brand now gone and no indication from General Motors to revive it, look for a Chevy bowtie to grace the grille of this new rear-drive machine.

More: Pontiac G8 Successor Set to Launch in 2013 on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
369 Posts
i have a feeling this new "SS Sedan" will have GM's Direct Injection system but in a small block V8 setup, next gen LS engine anyone? :driving:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The last thing I need is another car to lust after....I DEMAND you remove this thread!!!!!!!!

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
37 Posts
This would be great news, just unfortunate it's under the Chevy name :( I went to the car show here in Columbus a couple of weeks ago and I can honestly say outside of the Camaro Convertible and The Corvette, there wasn't a single Chevy I would want to get. They had a Volt there that looked better than I expected, but it's still a 40K Greenie Feelgood car. Screw that :lol:

The rest of the line up looked so freaking boring. I could have fell asleep just looking at all of them. A couple of the Buicks looked OK, but again they looked like everything else on the road. Plus I also can't get over the fact that a Buick to me is still a "Grandpa Car" The Grand National is the only Buick I can think of that truly breaks away from that stigma.

The Cadillacs I will say have escaped the Grandpa stigma. A few of them looked great. I'd love to have a new CTS-V, but then I saw the price tag and remembered why I won't be in a Caddy anytime soon LOL.

I know it won't happen but I'd still love to see them bring back Pontiac. Ever since I was a kid, Pontiac to me always represented performance and excitement the GM lineup lacked elsewhere. They always looked better than there Chevy counterpart and always had a bit better performance, well at least in my eyes. LOL. They should have kept the name plate around even if for just a few cars like the G8 and the solstice, although the Saturn Sky actually was the best looking of those two. It would have looked great with the Pontiac logo!!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Maybe you could graft on a Pontiac front end.

·
Registered
369 Posts
if they bring another back as a chevy i'd order a original holden front end for it unless it just looks really really good

·
Registered
369 Posts
im guessing its a total redesign of the holden commodore. not just a refresh like the new models that came out last year with the touch screen and all the new goodies

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
290 Posts
Why don't they wait a few more years. GM are a bunch of clowns. Now is the time for American muscle cars, who knows in a few years. Once again they are missing the boat.

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
681 Posts
I still say the only 3 cars I'd trade my GT in for are a GXP, Z06 (LeMans Blue 06/07), or a CTS-V Coupe.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
yep i knew it. why would gm bring back a car that was first produced in 2007 this late in the game. gm is going to take the new commodore once holden releases it. cannot wait to see the new commodore. and if its even as good as this one, hopefully i will have a new car choice in 3 or 4 years..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope they approve the UTE soon, I been waiting on G8 ST until they canceled it after approving it in Dec 08, was suppose to start manufacturing it in April 09. I have almost given up on GM and waiting for the UTE to come over. I’m starting to look at FORD F150 with Ecoboost engine. The full size truck will not look that good next to my goat, I would prefer to have the UTE next to my goat and full size truck is bit bigger than I really need. But I have to replace my daily driver soon (not that I’m having problems with it, but its 10 years old now), I would like a RWD with lot of power and need lot of cargo space (lot more than what a sedan has).
Got to respect that Ecoboost engine, 365hp 420tq and still gets 16/22 EPA on 5500 pound brick. If I get the F150, I would have to put 5-10K of mods into it right away (first thing is to lower that thing) and almost $40K for the truck. I would really rather like to get the UTE, it would be lot cheaper, but I’m not going to wait forever.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This would be great news, just unfortunate it's under the Chevy name :( I went to the car show here in Columbus a couple of weeks ago and I can honestly say outside of the Camaro Convertible and The Corvette, there wasn't a single Chevy I would want to get. They had a Volt there that looked better than I expected, but it's still a 40K Greenie Feelgood car. Screw that :lol:

The rest of the line up looked so freaking boring. I could have fell asleep just looking at all of them. A couple of the Buicks looked OK, but again they looked like everything else on the road. Plus I also can't get over the fact that a Buick to me is still a "Grandpa Car" The Grand National is the only Buick I can think of that truly breaks away from that stigma.

The Cadillacs I will say have escaped the Grandpa stigma. A few of them looked great. I'd love to have a new CTS-V, but then I saw the price tag and remembered why I won't be in a Caddy anytime soon LOL.

I know it won't happen but I'd still love to see them bring back Pontiac. Ever since I was a kid, Pontiac to me always represented performance and excitement the GM lineup lacked elsewhere. They always looked better than there Chevy counterpart and always had a bit better performance, well at least in my eyes. LOL. They should have kept the name plate around even if for just a few cars like the G8 and the solstice, although the Saturn Sky actually was the best looking of those two. It would have looked great with the Pontiac logo!!
I agree with everything you said. I test drove a new regal (just to get the $50 visa card) and was not impressed. It was ok...but nothing stood out and it carries that ugly Buick grill. In our area, whenever you see a Buick lesabre, get out of the way, cause it's usually some 70-80 year old cruising down the highway. It's doubful i will ever be a GM customer again without Pontiac....but i should never say never. As i get older who knows, maybe i'll start liking those Buick LeSabres.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't bust out the champagne bottles just yet, folks. Posted today on facebook:

This "GM Insider" probably heard a rumor, assumed it was about the Commodore, then blabbed to the blogs. Show of hands: How many of you think that Chevy will be announcing something about a U.S.-bound Commodore tomorrow?

If I were a betting man: Next-gen Malibu or even Impala. They're both up for replacement very soon, but Impala's already pretty much doomed to another large FWD platform - so I say Malibu.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
as usual gm is one step behind.

they had a real winner here and they killed it. by the time this thing ever comes its going to see the same fate.
same with the gto.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hopefully it packs a punch with a next gen LS-V8 and direct injection

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
If a car with RWD and a big V8 like the G8 is out in 2014-2015, I know what will be the replacement for my current one...my G8 is headed out to my son when he turns 16. Got to take care of it a little I guess :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts