Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All New Pontiac G8 To Pace Grand-Am Rolex 24 Hour At Daytona
G8 out front at Daytona

Daytona Beach, Fla., January 25, 2008 – The all new Pontiac G8 performance sedan will make its North American track debut pacing the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 46th running of the Rolex 24 Hour At Daytona.

The 361-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan does not go on sale in dealerships until this Spring, but sports car fans and race television viewers on the FOX Network and SPEED Channel will get an on-track glimpse of this performance four-door out front at the 46th Rolex 24 Hour At Daytona.

“The G8 Pace Car with its 361-horsepower will have no problem jumping out front of the Rolex field and maintaining the pace around Daytona this weekend,” Craig Bierley, Pontiac director of marketing, said. “The G8 with its aggressive Pontiac styling and soon to be legendary performance attributes will look and feel right at home running in front of all of the fast machinery at the World Center of Racing this weekend.”

Under the hood is the production 6.0L V-8, rated at 361-horsepower (268kW) and 385 lb.-ft. of torque (520 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control backs the powerful small-block engine and complements a four-wheel independent suspension outfitted with factory 19-inch wheels and performance tires.

The G8 Grand-Am Pace Car is equipped with production equipment that includes:
  • Standard ABS and traction control augmented by high-performance HSV brakes
  • Electronic stability control
  • Seat-mounted thorax air bags and dual-stage frontal air bags for front passengers, with automatic passenger sensing system
  • Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
  • OnStar with available Turn-by-Turn navigation
  • Power-adjustable front seats
  • Fog lamps
  • Quad polished stainless steel exhaust tips
  • Rear lip spoiler
  • Color, Brazen (Orange)
  • Custom Pace Car Corsa exhaust system
  • Custom GM designed graphics with Whelen strobe lights
The G8 Pace Car carries race inspired graphics which highlight the strong Pontiac design cues, such as a dual-port grille, fog lamps, bold wheels and a confident, wheels-at-the-corners stance. The car’s design accents Pontiac’s performance lineage, with fenders that flare over the wheels, seemingly hugging the wide tires and enhancing its athletic posture.

The Rolex 24 at Daytona will once again see the start televised live on FOX starting at 1:00 p.m. ET. SPEED Channels coverage of the Rolex 24 will encompass two parts totaling 15.5 hours of coverage. Part 1 airs from 2:30 to 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 26, with programming returning to SPEED on the morning of Sunday, January 27 beginning at 6:00 a.m. ET and continuing through the checkered flag and post-race interviews. In addition to the network coverage, the first 90 minutes of the event will be simulcast on the 1,400-square foot News Astrovision by Panasonic Screen prominently located at One Times Square in New York. In Europe, Eurosport 2 will carry race coverage.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
The pacecar looks very sharp, thanks for posting the pics! This will give some timely exposure to the car around the time they begin to arrive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All is right with the world, again. Pontiac is the pace car at Daytona; it is a triumphant return.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would of loved to been able to drive down and enjoy the Rolex 24 race. I have made prior commitments to help out my father on the 26th. It was -1 here this morning and I would have loved to been on the road heading south.

DY, I hope you can get more tickets for races later this year. I'm wanting to take a long road trip in the Goat. There's no better reason to go watch a race and enjoy good hospitality.

·
Registered
933 Posts
BTW DY, I found a really cool spot on the internet where you can buy real brand new Rolex watches for only $9.95 each!

I have ordered several dozen so far.................but they always seem to come in a green finish instead of the gold I ordered. Want some? For you, only $10.95 ea. :pimp: :wall:

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW DY, I found a really cool spot on the internet where you can buy real brand new Rolex watches for only $9.95 each!

I have ordered several dozen so far.................but they always seem to come in a green finish instead of the gold I ordered. Want some? For you, only $10.95 ea. :pimp: :wall:
Its good that they are staying with the Rolex Grand Am racing. For the past few years LS1GTO has sent over 420 Pontiac Owners to hospitality events at NHRA and Grand Am races. They had GTO pace cars, GTO.R & GXP.R race cars, GTO & GXP promod drag cars.

I dunno - free tickets to a race, free meals, special parking corral, driver autograph sessions, tech discussions with engineers, pace car rides, parade laps, free trips to bondurant race school ....... Pontiac treats us well I think :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Its good that they are staying with the Rolex Grand Am racing. For the past few years LS1GTO has sent over 420 Pontiac Owners to hospitality events at NHRA and Grand Am races. They had GTO pace cars, GTO.R & GXP.R race cars, GTO & GXP promod drag cars.

I dunno - free tickets to a race, free meals, special parking corral, driver autograph sessions, tech discussions with engineers, pace car rides, parade laps, free trips to bondurant race school ....... Pontiac treats us well I think :)
Better & better. :popcorn2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
That G8 look'd good running as the pace car but those G6's look'd real good in the race. They were the most non torn apart cars in the race.

Randy

1 - 20 of 54 Posts