Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a flash flood over the weekend and I sucked up a lot of water into my motor and it shut off. I towed it home the next day and drained the oil. I took out the spark plugs and got all the water out. I could spin the motor over using the crank bolt. I did a compression test and 5 of the 6 cylinders were between 190~230. One cylinder was 150. I poured a little ATF in each cylinder before doing the test. I started it up and it smoked like crazy and it misfired on 2 cylinders; probably from the ATF. I changed the oil again and started it back up. The motor has a tick now 馃槱. When I get home today I'm going to swap the spark plugs and coils around to see if the misfire follows those components.

I'm trying to decide what I should do with this car since it's in good shape.

Registered
It probably bent a rod if you sucked up enough to hydrolock it

Premium Member
A tick or a knock?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A tick or a knock?
I'm undecided on that right now. If nothing else works then I'll drop the pan and take a look.

I swapped the spark plug and coils around. It still acts like it's misfiring, but it doesn't throw codes anymore. I'm going to go ahead and install new plugs.
I've been reading about different ways to clean out junk in the engine to help eliminate ticks.
Step 1: Pour in x1 quart of SAE 50 weight oil and x4 quarts of automatic transmission fluid into the motor and let it run for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Drain the ATF and replace with 5w-30. Run for 15 minutes.
Step 3. Change the oil and filter.

On the positive side, it looks like V6 motors with less that 100k miles go for under $800.

Registered
That certainly blows.
Sounds like you have a plan.
Have you pulled off the valve covers, the drivers side is known to badly sludge up because of no vent on that side.
Wondering if the water didn't move the sludge around to cause the tick or knock.
Hopefully you didn't bend anything as mentioned above.
Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been super busy so I don't have an update. I'm not even in the country right now. I'm sure a few of you knew I was going to bring this up. If I can't save the engine, maybe a v8 swap? I would only do this if I could find a wrecked GT. Or I'd use my car to fix the wrecked GT. I'm going to start keeping an eye open for a donor. Anybody have a clue what a wreck GT goes for now?

Premium Member
The V8 engine swap is definitely possible, but suggest researching what it entails prior to committing. A wrecked or salvaged GT's price is contingent primarily on condition, but expect to spend at least a few thousand dollars.

Registered
Sorry to hear, man. Will insurance help repair the car?

Premium Member
^^^ Depends if the car had comprehensive coverage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear, man. Will insurance help repair the car?
I don鈥檛 have full coverage on this car, if it was a GT I would.

Today I put new spark plugs in and it started and ran great. But it still has the tick noise. I let the car idle for a little bit. I revved it up some and the ticking got about 50% quieter and stayed there. I can鈥檛 tell where it鈥檚 coming from. I鈥檓 trying to decide if I want to drop the oil pan or pull the valve covers off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I pulled the oil and valve covers off and everything looks ok. There was still some water up top. I鈥檓 guessing the timing chain is making the noise. I was planning on replacing it soon anyway. I started getting the timing chain code over the winter, about once a month.

Premium Member
The G8 V6 has three timing chains. One primary which drives both "secondary" chains. Which code(s) are you getting for the timing chains?

Registered
It should be noted that its not always the chains, the chain guides do wear down causing the slop in the chains.

Premium Member

Reactions: BAS G8
1 - 15 of 15 Posts