Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Oklahoma car collector Tim Dye is well known in the enthusiast community for his stable of Pontiacs. Now, he's decided to open a museum dedicated to the now defunct marque, in the town of Pontiac, Illinois, through which passes a stretch of the historic ‘Mother Road,' Route 66.

The museum will be located in downtown Pontiac, IL in the town square on North Mill Street. Dye will be loaning some of the cars from his own collection, while others are likely to come from other collections or individual enthusiasts. At present the Museum is slated to open by July 21st this year.

Given all that General Motors has been through lately and the way in which Pontiac was unceremoniously dumped, it's nice to see some enthusiasts looking to preserve the legacy of this once popular and exciting vehicle brand, even if many brand nuts believe the rightful home should be in Pontiac, Michigan. However, given the recent economic crisis and the fact that Pontiac, Michigan is struggling financially and couldn't fund such a project anyway, one museum dedicated to the brand, even if it is in Illinois, is better than none at all.

More: Pontiac Museum is a Go, But Not in Michigan on AutoGuide.com

·
118 Posts
Pontiac Museum on the way!

This is great to hear! Pontiac has been a big part of the American auto industry for such a long time, it was a disgrace the way GM just dumped them. I've had the privledge to own 9 over the course of my life and
always enjoyed each of them. :patriot:

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I am really glad to hear this, and I will be making a trip to visit once it's open. I am trying to figure our a way to incorporate a visit to this museum into the International G8 Meet this year. The meet is only 140 miles away. Maybe when the event is over we will have to have a big Pontiac G8 Convoy pilgrimage to the museum.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Will there be a G8? Thats what I want to know! :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Joe, I was checking that out too, wondering how we could incorporate it into the festivities. According to Google maps, it's about 2.5 hours (at the speed limit) to get there from the Isle of Capri.
Too bad it's not a high-speed, winding road to get there!

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
That would be cool if it could be incorporated into the national meet somehow. And it is awesome to have people still taking care of the brand name....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Excellent news! Love that it's in IL.

·
Black & Silver
474 Posts
I am really glad to hear this, and I will be making a trip to visit once it's open. I am trying to figure our a way to incorporate a visit to this museum into the International G8 Meet this year. The meet is only 140 miles away. Maybe when the event is over we will have to have a big Pontiac G8 Convoy pilgrimage to the museum.
I'm totally in, sounds like a great idea. Maybe we can get some media coverage or something. Who knows, GM might even take notice and decide to resurrect Pontiac as a small, limited run, high performance only division. There's a ton of great herritage and many outstanding vehicles have been made over the years. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is great to hear! Pontiac has been a big part of the American auto industry for such a long time, it was a disgrace the way GM just dumped them. I've had the privledge to own 9 over the course of my life and
always enjoyed each of them. :patriot:
I am on my 5th Pontiac (I tend to keep cars a long time). A museum like this is a great thing to preserve some history.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts