Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2010 model lineup for the soon-to-be-terminated Pontiac brand will consist of just one model - the Vibe.

Recently GM interim CEO Fritz Henderson reiterated the company's position that the G8 would not carry on as either a Buick, Chevy or Cadillac. The G3 and G5 will also cease production this year, while the G6 will only be made available to government, corporate and rental car fleets.

There has been no word lately on the Solstice model. GM had made it known that it would consider offers for the Solstice (as well as the Saturn Sky and Opel GT) as a separate entity, but with the sale of Saturn to Penske, that now seems unlikely.

In an effort to spice up sales of the final run of the Vibe, Pontiac will offer the car with air conditioning standard, and make it available in a new color - Ignition Orange.

GM's official line is that it wants to work with Toyota on a new vehicle to build at the joint GM-Toyota NUMI plant in California where sister cars the Vibe and Martix are produced, but our sources have indicated that GM wants out.

While the Vibe is a great car, we hope the sad irony of a vehicle built for utilitarian purposes being the last one offered by the company's performance brand is not lost on the folks at GM.

More: Pontiac To Offer the Vibe (and Nothing Else) in 2010 on AutoGuide.com

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Not surprising since they had the manufacturing agreement with Toyota that hadn't expired yet and it'd take time to convert the front clip to something more like a Chevy or Buick.

G3 and G5 were easy to kill...manufactured in-house and not good sellers.
G6 staying around for fleet use is mildly surprising.

G8 dying was pre-determined. Between the union agreement limiting the number of vehicles GM can import, the governmental push for fuel economy and the lower profitability per unit, it had three big strikes against it.

Besides, our dollar is predicted to take a huge nose dive against foreign currencies due to our rapidly increasing deficit. That would make a car with narrow profit margins even more expensive to produce and ship from Australia.

Building it in the US or Canada never came to fruition and the relatively low production numbers wouldn't be enough justification to do so. GM wants/needs something they can sell more than 50,000 per year at a nice profit margin.:(

·
Mag Gray GT GUY
159 Posts
How about the G8 in Ford's model lineup? Would it be possible for Holden and Ford to work out a plan to produce the G8? Would anyone be interested?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
How about the G8 in Ford's model lineup? Would it be possible for Holden and Ford to work out a plan to produce the G8? Would anyone be interested?
Highly unlikely since GM is retaining Holden. Really don't see the NEW GM being in such bad shape that it would contract to build cars for what will be (and always has been) its main competitor.:wink2::pir_flag:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ford already has a G8 killer called the Falcon down under. It would be redundant to build the G8.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not sure about this 'better in every way' comment. Maybe just your way? :)

Indeed, and the Falcon is better in every way. And the top-level engine is a turbo 6 with mountains of torque. Go figure.
The top level is a V8 called the XR8 it has 388hp. It is not better in every way. A few things that I notice in comparisons. (keep in mind not all things are important to all people)
1. Falcon doesnt come with Dual zone heating controls, not even as an option.
2. Falcon doesnt come with rear lip spoiler, not even as an option.
3. G8 has more rear headroom
4. G8 Avg fuel economy is better (GT vs XR8)
5. Oh and 60k Aussy dollars which is 48251.99 USD before import fees and transport costs.

Sorry I just had to check the 'every' way :wink2:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The top level is a V8 called the XR8 it has 388hp. It is not better in every way. A few things that I notice in comparisons. (keep in mind not all things are important to all people)
1. Falcon doesnt come with Dual zone heating controls, not even as an option.
2. Falcon doesnt come with rear lip spoiler, not even as an option.
3. G8 has more rear headroom
4. G8 Avg fuel economy is better (GT vs XR8)
5. Oh and 60k Aussy dollars which is 48251.99 USD before import fees and transport costs.

Sorry I just had to check the 'every' way :wink2:
It is my understanding that the only people who buy the XR8 in Australia are more or less tool douchebags. The real goods are in the XR6T(or better yet, the F6)

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/MiniSite/MiniSiteArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=48644&vf=28&MiniSiteID=8

362hp in XR6T trim, with plenty more available in mods (the F6 is somewhere over 400 and still gains tons from mods). 393 lb/ft of torque from (wait for it) 2000rpm to 4750 rpm. It offers optional dualzone climate control, sports steering wheel, reverse cameras, etc. and it gets like 20mpg. It's also lighter, faster, and cheaper than the XR8.

Rear lip spoiler? Technically the Commy doesn't offer that either, they have wing spoilers (just like the Falcons). Read headroom? Really? Did you buy the car because it had 0.5 inches more rear headroom? Cuz you know there's some conversion vans with like 2 ft more rear headroom...

But here's the big thing, the Commodore SS is 52k there, and the XR6T is 45k. Both when converted are way off from what the G8 costs here... but that's part of the reason GM is going under, they can't figure out why "making it up in volume" doesn't work when you have negative margin.

It really is betterin every way, except the F6 models get this random gaudy gray painted areas. Australians even agree (or at least somethign close to 50% of them do)

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/holden-commodore-ss-v-vs-ford-falcon-xr6-turbo-review.htm

EDIT: Keep in mind that this(The one up here ^^^^ ) comparo is the OLD Falcon vs the NEW Commy.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Wow, what a way to phase out such a storied brand...not the worst Pontiac out there but still...would have been much nicer to go out with the G8, although I guess it's kind of nice in a way that I have one of the last ones. Glad I decided to get mine when I did.

·
Registered
526 Posts
OK, deep breath.

The Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix are not built side-by-side at NUMMI.

There I said it.

The Pontiac Vibe is built at NUMMI. The Toyota Corolla is also built at NUMMI.

The Toyota Matrix cannot be built at NUMMI as they do not have the tooling to build right hand drive for export.

http://www.nummi.com/vehicles.php

The Toyota Matrix is built in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada by TMMC.

http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/operations/manufacturing/tmmc/

Autoweek is reporting that 2010 Pontiac Vibe production will end at NUMMI in August of 2009, so it is a very short production run, and I would suspect to churn through the parts bin and meet certain obligations. Production of the 2010 Vibe began in March of 2009, so I would guess that the 2010's are already on the lot.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090618/CARNEWS/906189985

So the last Pontiac will roll off the assembly line sometime in August 2009 in utter humiliation as a rebadged Toyota off of a joint GM/Toyota assembly line.

There are a ton of rumors in the press on NUMMI in general including, GM wants to sell its stake back to Toyota, Toyota wants out, Ford wants to buy GMs stake, GM is going to license Toyota Synergy Drive and build some new car at NUMMI, that Toyota will build the Prius on the shut down Vibe line, and that GM is talking to Toyota about what they will build their next on the Vibe line.

Take your pick, Toyota, Ford, and GM have denied all of these stories that have circulated in the last three weeks.

But repeat after me, the Toyota Matrix is NOT built at NUMMI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why take a deep breath? I don't really think anyone cares much. Plus, you should refer your lil post here to AutoGuide.com and not to our readers because that's where the article came from. After reading through all the posts here, you are the only one to make notice to the NUMMI thing. Does it trouble you that much to put "But repeat after me, the Toyota Matrix is NOT built at NUMMI." three times at the end of your post?

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
Does anyone know when the G8 is scheduled to end production? And what will GM lose since they are ending their G8 production contract early?

I hope they are losing a lot of money because of this, i want them to feel as i feel...:mad:

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Does anyone know when the G8 is scheduled to end production? And what will GM lose since they are ending their G8 production contract early?

I hope they are losing a lot of money because of this, i want them to feel as i feel...:mad:
I believe production ended back in March or April.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Toyota Matrix cannot be built at NUMMI as they do not have the tooling to build right hand drive for export.

http://www.nummi.com/vehicles.php

The Toyota Matrix is built in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada by TMMC.
I knew the Matrix was not built at NUMMI, but didn't know why.

According to the Detroit Free Press the G6 is scheduled for production until September - so the G6 may end up being the last Pontiac made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts