Pontiac G8 Forum banner

possible 4.8 or 5.3 swap

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Ls3BeautyBeast 
#1 ·
ok well my g8 is getting up there in miles 158k and dod is still working I would like to do a nice budget build I came across a low mil 2009 5.3 motor for $500 or a swap for a set of c6 vette wheels I have I know
going from a 6.0 to 5.3 or even a 4.8 is a down grade but its looking a lot cheaper build I been seeing pretty damn good numbers 420-460hp tuned just seeing what u guys think I been also thinking going the turbo route cheap 4.8 or 5.3

#2 ·
I am curious, what is wrong with your motor that you're considering replacing it?

When I pulled my heads off, the factory crosshatch was still there. The heads were in remarkably good condition and required no machining. By and large the block was in excellent shape.

#4 ·
I see... I understand.

I was lucky enough to have a beater car to drive around while I've been doing my work. No point in selling it since it's garbage anyways... but it works...

Anyways, there are other reasons for oil consumption, though. The valve seals are largely to blame after so many miles, as is the PCV system especially with the driver's side rocker cover if it is not updated. There is a service bulletin out on it for that very reason.

#6 ·
ive had the car a few years now its lowered on coilovers full exhaust tuned all that but I would like to get some power out of the car but the other motors came to mind since a 80k l76 is going for 3k and ls3 5k and 4.8/5.3 400-1250 and they both do pretty damn well with boost

#8 ·
You could probably find an old beater car that you can unload fairly easily once your project is done for about the same cost as you purchased it for..... for what it's worth. :D

Reactions: Strykerblue09GT
#16 ·
My thoughts exactly.

And Mr. Jones.... don't let anybody say your beater car is ugly. It's not ugly, it is seasoned. It's not unreliable, it's 20 years old and it's a friggen tank! :D

#17 ·
I forgot to add.... nothing compares to blaring Molly Hatchet (you know the song) in an old beat up Sable like you just don't care... :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.