Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting on a new power steering pump and reservoir. Do I need to put a new power steering filter on too? If so, does anyone know the part #

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
In the service manual, they "do not' show that the power steering system uses a filter (changeable or otherwise). At best, there might be a built in filter within the pump, but I doubt it. I'm sure its just a fluid type of system similar to the braking system. They rely on the person doing the work to use the "best practice procedure" method (as in preventing outside contaminants from entering the components involved with the system during the removing an installing of components.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Ive never heard of it needing a filter before until I read a post about it awhile back. I looked it up and ebay and some of the local part stores carry a few different types of them but im not going to bother with it.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Magnefine sells filers that can be inserted into a cut line. It's a good idea especially for out pumps that seem to be pretty fragile. But you just added another maintenance item to keep up on.

They sell ones with different size inlets. Not sure what you would need for a PS line.

Great info!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Our P/S systems use DEXRON 6 over the years I just changed the fluid every 50k,when my steering rack was replaced due to inner tie rod ends worn out
I purchased the GM rack assembly from ROCK AUTO it came complete with inner and outer tie rod ends;thats when I did a complete p/s fluid change

·
Registered
131 Posts
Back when steering boxes were the norm, filters really weren't needed. There was enough tolerance built into the system to handle the wear and tear. Rack and pinion units are built to a tighter tolerance. As they wear, small particles of metal come loose and circulate through the fluid. This causes more wear to the rack and the pump. Some of the aftermarket companies won't warranty parts if the system wasn't flushed and/or a filter wasn't installed at the time of installation. Be sure to check the warranty registration card for that information. Best advice in general is to install a filter in the return line. It's cheap insurance against replacing major parts again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
my guess is the red spot might be a nice place to put it. Easy to get to anyway rather than down by the cooler lines.

View attachment 181036
Just the diagram I was looking for! Do you know the part # for item 9? Mine is leaking at the crimp and need to replace it sooner rather than later. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Looks like the return hose. If so, it has two different part numbers 92219047 Lower Return Line, Lower Return Hose, Cooler to steering gear. G8. 1st design or 92216840 Cooler to steering gear. G8. 2nd design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.