Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was extra whiny today. After about 7 miles it was grinding when I turned the wheel so I popped the hood and I have no p/s fluid. Bought a bottle of Dex6 and problem went away.

So I'm looking at the pump and the reservoir and it looks dry. Under the car is wet with red, but up by the front of the bumper not under the pump. When I trace the lines to where it cools, it LOOKS like the bottom of the a/c compressor is where the ps fluid cools? And thats where its leaking. Right where the line turns perpendicular to the car and then I cant see where it goes is wet. So either the cooler is broken or the line going onto it or hopefully its just loose. Then whats really weird and freaking me out, is the OTHER side of the cooler where the other ps line is (didnt figure out which was is in and which out) is also wet. How could both be leaking at the same time? The drivers side is soaked and the pass side just a little wet. I guess its possible if its leaking on drivers side and I make a left turn the fluid goes under the cooler and wets that side? Weird.

Before I go and take out the radiator/ac condensor to see whats up, anyone have any insight? Is the p/s cooler really part of the condenser? Or is it going into the bottom of rad and I cant see? Is there a hose clamp there or some other attachment? Am I probably buying a whole new ps line? Is it better to remove whole rad with condenser or take off bumper and tackle it from there?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
It's part of the condenser and a common problem which usually requires replacing the condenser.

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
Yeah, new condensor needed. Easy replacement, but still, what a $hitty design

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Make sure you don't vent... :D Disconnect the AC Belt and go get the gas reclaimed.

The replacement is a piece of cake. Leaks are pretty common over time in any cooler, and sometimes a failure to change fluids causes internal corrosion that leads to a busted part. Other times, harsh roads lead to said failure. There are clever ways to mitigate those vibrations, but most of these are failing well after 100K which isn't all that uncanny.

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
Ugh. I was hoping the hose clamps vibrated loose. I guess something cracks in the condenser?
I suspect there was some sort of blockage... I never figured out why my at-that-time 3 yr old car was puking PS fluid. But because the leak was so heavy at the inlet, I assumed there was a blockage there. I think the replacement has been in there 2 yrs now, and all is well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok since I was lazy, I just refilled the ps reservoir and called around a few garages near me if they had A/C reclaiming or what they would charge me to refill if I just dumped it when I replaced condenser. Even looked up some condenser prices (its not cheap).

And it hasnt leaked since. I've been checking it regularly. I think I had a blockage, it clogged, the in hose leaked and I lost all fluid, and now its not clogged.

I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Have had good fortune with OSC radiators (three) from the rock that sells auto parts, but have no personal experience with their condensers. Can the power steering fluid cooler on the air condenser be bypassed either temporarily or permanently?

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
Have had good fortune with OSC radiators (three) from the rock that sells auto parts, but have no personal experience with their condensers. Can the power steering fluid cooler on the air condenser be bypassed either temporarily or permanently?
I wanted to re-route to an external cooler, but I never got around to doing any research on how to do it better than whats there. But with that said, I've had no further leaking issue in the couple years since I did mine....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had leaks on both ends of my cooler inlets. I bypassed to an external cooler and have had no leaks since. Whenever it's time to replace the condenser, i'll most likely reroute to the factory location.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had leaks on both ends of my cooler inlets. I bypassed to an external cooler and have had no leaks since. Whenever it's time to replace the condenser, i'll most likely reroute to the factory location.
Where did you end up putting your external cooler? In front of the radiator? I'm looking at that area if I remove the bumper it seems there is plenty of room.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since this got bumped up. an update for me in case anyone else just found this thread with the same problem:

I kept topping off the p/s tank while I ordered a nice shiny new condensor and started looking around for a local mechanic that would suck up my A/C refrigerant and put it back in after i did the swap, and called like 7 places around here and nobody would do it. All they wanted was a "refrigerant service" for a flat fee ranging from $150 to $200 to "test and refill" my system. While it would be nice to have a machine doing the proper refill (sucking out the air and humidity while pumping in refrigerant) for that price I was thinking I should just dump the refr (sorry Al Gore) and buy 2 or 3 cans for $25 to $30 and put it in myself.

Then winter happened, and the power steering stopped leaking. Then spring happened, and it started leaking again. So I assumed it only leaked on super hot days. All summer it dripped and ****ed up my driveway but never seemed to leak as bad as it did the year before. It didnt seem to matter hotter days or cooler days it just kinda dripped and I had to top it off less and less. I kept topping it off but then it was summer and I was skeered to pop the refrigurant and have no A/C in the summer. Then it got cooler in the fall and stopped leaking "one day this winter I'll change the condensor". Here it is spring again and it hasnt been ever hot here and I check the p/s tank now and then but its not dripping.

So my leak seems to have gotten a lot less as time goes by, but I still get drips on my driveway and I still see sticky "older" oil drippings under the front bumper area. I've been too lazy to fix it.

Now I kinda wish when this first happened I got access to the bottom of the condenser and investigated why its leaking and if I could just fix something like an oring or tighten something and try and fix the leak before I bought this expensive condenser that's been moving around my garage for a year and a half and probably got a leak in it from my stupid kids putting stuff on top of the box.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: some weeks the power steering fluid hardly leaked at all, some weeks I had a puddle under car in the morning. A different post said they always leak where the hoses connect and there was no way to fix. I took off the aero shield under the bumper and then you have access to the hoses as they attached to the sides of the condenser, and neither side was leaking. The lines are metal to the condenser but the last foot they turn to rubber lines and held onto the condenser with hose clamps. So if your lines are leaking its an easy fix and there is plenty of extra rubber line to cut a few inches off and put some fresh hose on the condenser nipple. But that wasnt my problem it was leaking somewhere in the middle of the condenser.

I didnt want to dump my A/C freon to do the swap in the middle of summer, so I was waiting for fall. And guess what my A/C stopped working. So perfect time to swap the condenser. I didnt pressure test it but there was a leak right in the middle. Either a rock hit the bottom of it or it cracked for a big pothole or something, I never found the exact spot.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Update: some weeks the power steering fluid hardly leaked at all, some weeks I had a puddle under car in the morning. A different post said they always leak where the hoses connect and there was no way to fix. I took off the aero shield under the bumper and then you have access to the hoses as they attached to the sides of the condenser, and neither side was leaking. The lines are metal to the condenser but the last foot they turn to rubber lines and held onto the condenser with hose clamps. So if your lines are leaking its an easy fix and there is plenty of extra rubber line to cut a few inches off and put some fresh hose on the condenser nipple. But that wasnt my problem it was leaking somewhere in the middle of the condenser.

I didnt want to dump my A/C freon to do the swap in the middle of summer, so I was waiting for fall. And guess what my A/C stopped working. So perfect time to swap the condenser. I didnt pressure test it but there was a leak right in the middle. Either a rock hit the bottom of it or it cracked for a big pothole or something, I never found the exact spot.
It is annoying but it needs to be done.

I replaced mine back in May of 2017.

·
The Mustang dude
1,344 Posts
It is annoying but it needs to be done.

I replaced mine back in May of 2017.
Yup Annoying as hell. But not as much as cleaning spots off my driveway and spraying castrol superclean all over the bottom of the car and having to spray it off. Uggggh.
Still no leaks after doing mine in mid 2015.
I hope TurboMike got ahead of the curve and swapped in a shrader valve on the AC High side while the system was empty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts