Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got ATF on my driveway. Car leaves a few drops when parked.

But it doesn't appear to be trans related. Trans pan is dry, lines coming out and going all the way to the rad are dry. But my oil pan is wet.

I cannot see any evidence of anything wet from the top, only the bottom.

Any ideas to check?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got ATF on my driveway. Car leaves a few drops when parked.

But it doesn't appear to be trans related. Trans pan is dry, lines coming out and going all the way to the rad are dry. But my oil pan is wet.

I cannot see any evidence of anything wet from the top, only the bottom.

Any ideas to check?
I would assume power steering too. Probably obvious but have you check to see if the power steering fluid is low? Have you taken a look at the pump to see if its wet, id probably check the rack too. Could the ATF be hitting the belt and flying around?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pump doesn't seem wet. Honestly can't find any evidence of a leak from the top.

PS doesn't seem low either. It's not completely full but I don't know if it was before either.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Check your power steering cooler. It is integrated into the bottom of the condenser and a common leak point.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Check your power steering cooler. It is integrated into the bottom of the condenser and a common leak point.
The under tray, below the front bumper, was a mess on mine from the cooler leaking. Small standalone cooler fixed it quickly without having to mess with the AC system.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The under tray, below the front bumper, was a mess on mine from the cooler leaking. Small standalone cooler fixed it quickly without having to mess with the AC system.
It's definitely more costly to repair if you go after the condenser, but the condenser is easy to replace.

It was a third of ther current cost when it happened to me, though. The price of the condenser has sky rocketed indeed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not dripping on the under tray though. Way farther back, dripping down the oil pan. The plastic tray is bone dry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
How about a few good photos?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where did you install your stand alone cooler? I'm in the same boat. I searched and several folks seem to have installed externals but no write-ups seem to exist.

I was looking at the area behind the front bumper but in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Here is mine. It's sagging down right now because my car is all torn apart with the radiator and all out. Normally it's mounted with 2 of those cooler zip-tie mounts, through the ac condenser and radiator.

The cooler is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13211

If I had to do it over again (which I'm going to), I'd do it in a way to not have that long loop of hose, but it works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is mine. It's sagging down right now because my car is all torn apart with the radiator and all out. Normally it's mounted with 2 of those cooler zip-tie mounts, through the ac condenser and radiator.

The cooler is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13211

If I had to do it over again (which I'm going to), I'd do it in a way to not have that long loop of hose, but it works fine.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing. I ordered a Hayden unit that looks very similar earlier this evening. Did you just remove the hose at the old cooler inlet/outlet and put some unions between it and the new hose? That would seem to make sense. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks! That's what I was thinking of doing. I ordered a Hayden unit that looks very similar earlier this evening. Did you just remove the hose at the old cooler inlet/outlet and put some unions between it and the new hose? That would seem to make sense. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something.
I actually ran new lines since I was also doing a power steering reservoir relocation at that time. It's just off-the-shelf 3/8" hose. Just make sure it's rated for ATF.

Then I just capped the OE cooler with some vacuum caps. They've stayed on fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts