Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Meet The Lion
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I have found it increasingly difficult to turn my steering wheel. Its really tuff at a stop, reverse, and slow turns. I believe my power steering pump is about to give out. My fluid stays perfectly level and its not ALWAYS tuff to turn. Anyone have any opinions? And if it is my pump, any ideas on cost of replacement and labor? Anything is appreciated.

·
Zdaddy
151 Posts
Would have hoped for a reply here... mine is doing the same. It feels like it has "catches" in it that take extra effort to steer through.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The steering is a variable ratio and at real slow speeds it will act up. Mine does it every great once and a while in pulling into a parking spot or very slow maneuvers. Its not a perfect setup but I've learned to avoid those situations.

·
Zdaddy
151 Posts
Mine is acting up driving down the road or even at Interstate speed. One or two degrees, right or left, no issue.. anything beyond that and it feels like a speed bump that I have to force past. In slower speeds like turning a corner, you can feel it a couple of times...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine did this.. Right after I did about two very impressive donuts, mine went out.. It became verrrry hard to turn the wheel when you either let off the gas or were slow like in town speeds.. Power steering pumps do not like a lot of high rpm's. They tend to go out over time. But i'm at 60,xxx miles.

Don't buy a new one from the Stealership unless it all under warrantee.
GO here to order one, it's the cheapest I've found.
http://gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

As far as putting it in, if you have any type of car knowledge it's a breeze. But I don't think it would cost that much to have them put it in for you. Good luck!

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
replace your power steering fluid and see if it helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got a used pump online with 10k but rock auto has good prices on new/rebuild pumps......there is a interchange on our pump several cars use it, if your looking used...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts