Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read quite a few threads on this topic, hopefully this thread can answer questions about the install and parts needed.

Once again, a HUGE thanks to RealSquash(Andy) for his help on the install. Always a very trusted resource.

Initial Review: I'd say I probably picked up close to 4-5rwhp. The car runs very smooth through the powerband, isn't as choppy. Might rev a tad faster, can't really tell. Overall it is great install to do when you do a cam install as well. My pulley wobbled very bad after the cam install so that was my main reason behind installing the new pulley, not for HP gains, but those are always beneficial. AC runs great, alternator runs great, no issues there. Below is a before/after of the pulley wobble.

Before:

After:

Parts
Pulley: I purchased the pulley from [email protected] Era. The price was fantastic($179), shipping was even better. Mike went above and beyond to make sure that I would receive the pulley by Friday. I ordered on Sunday night, it was on my doorstep Friday @ noon for my Saturday install. Thanks again!
Part # PBU117-SS25

Belts: You need two belts, AC and Serpentine. Part numbers below:
Serpentine: Dayco 5060745, DO NOT USE 5060750 - Too Big!
AC: Dayco 5040410

I purchased these at Advance Auto, I think the Serpentine was $24 and AC was $14. They were in stock. If you have a supercharger, I would recommend you go with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.

If you are having doubts on which belts to get, you can reference this guide: http://www.tufautoparts.com/files/TUF_Serpentine-Belts_01-22-2008.htm

Bolt: I purchased a new GM TTY OEM Crank Bolt, was $5 at the local stealership. Part # 12557840.

Install

Remove Radiator Fans(these bottom clips are stubborn):

Get out the 600ft/lb impact and remove the old bolt:

Put on your pulley puller and begin to remove the pulley:

Admire your new pulley:

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We used a bolt that is slightly longer than the stock bolt to put on the crank pulley:

You add washers to it to continue pressing it on:

Once the pulley is pressed on quite well, you will need to drive it home with the old bolt, then remove. Now it is time to install the new TTY crank bolt. Get it seated tight, make sure the crank doesn't move and get 140 degrees of rotation on the bolt. Or you can trust the massive impact, keyword...massive to get your 140 degrees. Don't forget to mark the bolt to measure your angle. This pulley isn't coming off at all.

Install the belts!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice... what sort of gains do you expect to see from something like this? Any downsides?

-Todd...
Maybe 4-5rwhp? As you can see from the video's my OEM pulley was wobbly, that is why I did it.

You don't want to use this with your blower, as it will turn it at a different rate than OEM. I believe faster(causing you to overboost?) Maybe slower, not 100% positive.

Downsides - I guess when sitting in traffic, your alternator, AC, and water pump all don't spin as fast, however it really isn't a problem. All my stuff works just fine and AC is blowing nice and cold.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for sharing and nice write up! This will be my next mod!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
You don't want to use this with your blower, as it will turn it at a different rate than OEM.
Yeah, it wasn't something I was looking to do. Just curious what the gains were. I've always been afraid that I'd loose too much of my AC... and I couldn't live without that.

All my stuff works just fine and AC is blowing nice and cold.
Very nice!

-Todd...

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, AC is king now that summer is arriving...I'll hop on a dyno the next time a shop has a great deal on pulls...or an "open house" day!

I'm curious myself...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've read quite a few threads on this topic, hopefully this thread can answer questions about the install and parts needed.

Once again, a HUGE thanks to RealSquash(Andy) for his help on the install. Always a very trusted resource.

Initial Review: I'd say I probably picked up close to 4-5rwhp. The car runs very smooth through the powerband, isn't as choppy. Might rev a tad faster, can't really tell. Overall it is great install to do when you do a cam install as well. My pulley wobbled very bad after the cam install so that was my main reason behind installing the new pulley, not for HP gains, but those are always beneficial. AC runs great, alternator runs great, no issues there. Below is a before/after of the pulley wobble.

Before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxluRLCjPUc

After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgtHGcCSpAU

Parts
Pulley: I purchased the pulley from [email protected] Era. The price was fantastic($179), shipping was even better. Mike went above and beyond to make sure that I would receive the pulley by Friday. I ordered on Sunday night, it was on my doorstep Friday @ noon for my Saturday install. Thanks again!
Part # PBU117-SS25

Belts: You need two belts, AC and Serpentine. Part numbers below:
Serpentine: Dayco 5060745, DO NOT USE 5060750 - Too Big!
AC: Dayco 5040410

I purchased these at Advance Auto, I think the Serpentine was $24 and AC was $14. They were in stock. If you have a supercharger, I would recommend you go with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.

If you are having doubts on which belts to get, you can reference this guide: http://www.tufautoparts.com/files/TUF_Serpentine-Belts_01-22-2008.htm

Bolt: I purchased a new GM TTY OEM Crank Bolt, was $5 at the local stealership. Part # 12557840.

Install

Remove Radiator Fans(these bottom clips are stubborn):

Get out the 600ft/lb impact and remove the old bolt:

Put on your pulley puller and begin to remove the pulley:

Admire your new pulley:

awesome right up im about todo this to my car next week how does this feel on a cammed car.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If 25% underdrive is too much, it is also available in 10% underdrive and stock size for the same price.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
How bad is this wobble? I just changed the oil and had the car started to warm up the oil a touch. thougth I'd check the pulley and it's wobbling like the OP's. At least I think it's like that. I'd have to check. Is there a standard diameter option that gives gains?

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
How bad is this wobble? I just changed the oil and had the car started to warm up the oil a touch. thougth I'd check the pulley and it's wobbling like the OP's. At least I think it's like that. I'd have to check. Is there a standard diameter option that gives gains?
The gains come directly from it being an underdrive so I wouldn't think you can get both out of the deal. I would think 25% would be the most effective with the 10% being approximately 2/5s as effective as the 25%. Stock diameter would just be a higher quality replacement with no gains. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm planning to buy one for my wife's G8 within the next week. I couldn't care less about picking up any horsepower but more so eliminating the crank pulley wobble it has.

CntryClub007 - thanks for the write-up. I'll def. be referencing it for the belt numbers and such.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How did you brace the motor from turning over during the install?
pull the inspection plate on the bellhousing and put something like a screwdriver in there to keep it from turning, or just use an impact

·
Registered
366 Posts
you could also put a long pry bar and socket on the bolt and just tap the starter to break it loose, works really good, done it a few times for fun, never had an issue. They also make a tool to jam the flexplate so you can do this.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
They also make a tool to jam the flexplate so you can do this.
I have seen one that is made to bolt in place of the starter and hold the flexplate but seems like waaay too much trouble to remove the starter just to be able to do that. Is that the one you are talking about?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I too am wondering if these belts (Dayco 5060745 and AC: Dayco 5040410) are the same needed for the SLP 25% underdrive.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts