Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd post this since I don't think anyone has done this in my research across G8 forums.....

09' G8 GT needed major front end work -- riding stock FE2 and stock springs for 185K miles. That the ride was considered "rough" was an understatement :)

FYI -- G8 / Delco factory Front Springs are now a discontinued P/N by GM. (92203694).

Was able to direct replace them with PPV Front Struts up front (this we all know) and PPV Front Springs from a 2011-2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV.

Caprice Front Strut P/Ns:
PPV Front Left Strut: Monroe 553017
PPV Front Right Strut: Monroe 553016

Caprice Front Springs:
PPV Front Springs: GM 92277174 (2x)

In researching, these springs apparently are slightly thicker than the G8 stock ones and have a bit higher spring rate as expected on the PPV.
I had seen on the boards that some people were trying to use the Chevy SS springs and were having issues with them retaining in the spring mounts (not sure upper or lower was the cause).

For good measure as part of the rebuild I also replaced both front spring retainer seat plates (uppers as the lower was integrated into the PPV struts) and the front upper rubber spring insulators off the 2013 Chevrolet Caprice parts line as well. The P/N's are the same apparently between G8 and PPV, as well as front strut bellow and bump stops:

Caprice Coil Spring Seats & Insulators:
PPV Front Upper Spring Retainer: GM 92257840 (2x)
PPV Front Upper Spring Insulator: GM 92279412 (2x)
PPV Front Bellow & Bump Stops: GM 19294124 or Delco 901064 (2x)

Paired with a set of the nice blue hybrid SuperPro SPF1590AK front strut mounts and we're flying again. :)

Rears are running Monroe 553018's PPV shocks with stock G8 rear springs for now....

There is definitely a difference in ride height and vehicle rake --- front wheel well height is roughly 7/8" - 1.0" of extra height versus the rear wheel wells with the rear G8 springs, but we'll see if it settles a tad over the next 500 miles. The rears on PPV rear shocks / stock rear G8 springs are about 4 years old / 45K miles, so they may have settled a bit over their lifetime.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
Despised the FE2 suspension from the beginning. Were other suspension or steering related components changed as well? Post has a lot of good information.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Springs don’t change over time. If the haven’t sagged they don’t need to be replaced. If the ride quality has changed, it is due to the strut/shock and ball joints and bushings. If you like the ride height, tune the ride with adjustable struts and shocks

Reactions: WilmerG

·
Registered
77 Posts
SIMGUY, thanks for posting up about PPV springs and struts on a G8. I like a firm ride, and wanted a little more ride height, so I bought a set of PPV springs and shocks years ago, but never saw any one with that combo, so I wasn't sure if I should install the set, or install the FE3's onto the stock G8 springs for a much more modest change.
It will still be a while before I fit them though, the car is still at less than 25k miles.
Be sure to post up your impressions on the ride in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SIMGUY, thanks for posting up about PPV springs and struts on a G8. I like a firm ride, and wanted a little more ride height, so I bought a set of PPV springs and shocks years ago, but never saw any one with that combo, so I wasn't sure if I should install the set, or install the FE3's onto the stock G8 springs for a much more modest change.
It will still be a while before I fit them though, the car is still at less than 25k miles.
Be sure to post up your impressions on the ride in the future.
that's right. looking forward to OP's feedback about the ride. Not many options out there, if PPV's setup works that's great news.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Springs don’t change over time. If the haven’t sagged they don’t need to be replaced. If the ride quality has changed, it is due to the strut/shock and ball joints and bushings. If you like the ride height, tune the ride with adjustable struts and shocks
My close friend got this new G8 GT project with some suspension concern. We'll just finish installing the shocks and dirk cepek tires on the current Ram project before we start working on the car. We'll go with the adjustable struts and shocks.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
... we start working on the car. We'll go with the adjustable struts and shocks.
Are you looking at any particular brand(s) of coilovers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts