Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have a thread already about me trying to figure out a suspension set up but I want to try and keep that separate from this one. If mods think this is the same thing then let me know and ill remove it.

Who knew suspension setups would be so hard to decide on!! i have probably spend over 25 hrs looking up different struts and spring combinations to give the best ride, handling, ease of install, etc.. But what I am finding out now is that PPV's can be pretty rough depending on what other parts you have. What I want to know is how do these 2 perform against one another. Everything I have read is from a few years ago and some people took out the PPV's and put Koni's in but then there are people who took out Koni's to put in PPV's. I was set on PPV's until late last night when I started reading about Koni's and there adjustable damping.

So people who have PPV or Koni's please tell me about your experiences!

Thanks for your time and hopefully this thread might help other people out in the future or even now.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I had PPV’s and Tein springs on my first G8. Ride was firm and sporty. I’m going Koni front and QA1 In the rear this time so I have the choice. Smooth for daily to work. Turn it up when I want to have fun.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had PPV’s and Tein springs on my first G8. Ride was firm and sporty. I’m going Koni front and QA1 In the rear this time so I have the choice. Smooth for daily to work. Turn it up when I want to have fun.
Nice! I guess the only Koni fronts for our cars are the ones that require modding the current struts eh? and why QA1's and not Koni rears? What springs will you be running?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
FWIW, I'm running Koni up front and Bilstein (24-222976) in the rear. Rides fine for me. On Eibach lowering springs. Nice part of the bilstein is it's a camaro fitment which is a inch less at full extension. This means, when lowering the car off the jack, the spring does not need to be reseated every time..

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'm running Koni sport all around with King springs and Koni sleeves and seats on the rear to account for the unexpected drop that the Koni rear shocks introduce.

The Konis have failed quite a bit (I do normal street driving on good roads) but they do have a lifetime warranty where they pay for shipping to you and you pay the shipping to return them.

I've never had the PPVs.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I bought the QA1 Camaro rear shocks. They are single externally adjustable and height adjustable. You can add the coil over adjustable sleeves to the Koni shocks, but they are still a pain in the A$$ to adjust the rebound settings. I will do a mild lowering. You get about 3/8" to 1/2" with the BMR poly mounts them just lower the rear QA1 to match or I kept my Tein springs from my old G8. Again I can adjust the rear to what i want then have the alignment done. I also have the Z28 toe rods and solid upper rear control arm bushings and SS wide sway bar.

Reactions: GXP25

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the QA1 Camaro rear shocks. They are single externally adjustable and height adjustable. You can add the coil over adjustable sleeves to the Koni shocks, but they are still a pain in the A$$ to adjust the rebound settings. I will do a mild lowering. You get about 3/8" to 1/2" with the BMR poly mounts them just lower the rear QA1 to match or I kept my Tein springs from my old G8. Again I can adjust the rear to what i want then have the alignment done. I also have the Z28 toe rods and solid upper rear control arm bushings and SS wide sway bar.
Do the QA1 Camaro rear shocks fit on the G8 sub-frame? Or are they meant for the Camaro sub-frame on the G8?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm running Koni sport all around with King springs and Koni sleeves and seats on the rear to account for the unexpected drop that the Koni rear shocks introduce.

The Konis have failed quite a bit (I do normal street driving on good roads) but they do have a lifetime warranty where they pay for shipping to you and you pay the shipping to return them.

I've never had the PPVs.
The Koni's seem to be not to much more then the PPV's and if they are adjustable that really adds a +1 for me to be honest

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have PPVs, otherwise stock setup. They are a little firmer than stock, and I like them better than stock. Handling-wise (at least, judging from a single autocross event in the rain), the car understeers probably about as much as on stock shocks but is a good deal less floppy, is easier to control.

If you're thinking about the adjustable shocks, the trouble with them is that then you need to adjust them. Doing this right requires a good deal of track/autocross time and experience. The short summary is that you usually want to keep the rebound on the softer side to avoid all kinds of vile effects. Going past 1/2 of the adjustment range is usually a risky proposition, you'd really need to test to make sure that you're not losing grip big time (for Koni the adjustment range is usually 2.5 turns, so half the range would be 5 quarter-turns from full-soft). On the other hand, stiffening the compression is usually pretty safe and quickens the reaction a lot (but makes the ride less comfortable, just as the stiff compression does). If you get the single-adjustable shocks, the rebound is all you get to adjust, so better get the double-adjustable ones.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, forgot to say, I've meant comparing against the GXP stock setup.

Another thing, the upper bushings I've got from Gtog8ta.com are garbage (maybe they're designed for a lighter car?). One of them completely separated after less than 6 months, the second one started falling apart a couple of months later. I'm about to replace it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have PPVs, otherwise stock setup. They are a little firmer than stock, and I like them better than stock. Handling-wise (at least, judging from a single autocross event in the rain), the car understeers probably about as much as on stock shocks but is a good deal less floppy, is easier to control.

If you're thinking about the adjustable shocks, the trouble with them is that then you need to adjust them. Doing this right requires a good deal of track/autocross time and experience. The short summary is that you usually want to keep the rebound on the softer side to avoid all kinds of vile effects. Going past 1/2 of the adjustment range is usually a risky proposition, you'd really need to test to make sure that you're not losing grip big time (for Koni the adjustment range is usually 2.5 turns, so half the range would be 5 quarter-turns from full-soft). On the other hand, stiffening the compression is usually pretty safe and quickens the reaction a lot (but makes the ride less comfortable, just as the stiff compression does). If you get the single-adjustable shocks, the rebound is all you get to adjust, so better get the double-adjustable ones.
Thanks for all the info! Yah I would really like something that I can adjust especially when I have the wifey along I can make the ride more pleasant vs having the suspension stiffer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've also really been looking in to H&R's coilover set...they seem really good and I can adjust the ride height and damping to my liking. Anyone running them on there cars today?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Hi Winter. The QA1 are a straight bolt on. One bolt through the lower control are and the mount to the same upper plate. No changes or additional parts required. I’m going this way, I don’t need adjustment in the front end. Happy with the 1 inch drop from the Teins. The rears I can adjust . I just don’t want the stiff springs that are part of the coil over kits

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Winter. The QA1 are a straight bolt on. One bolt through the lower control are and the mount to the same upper plate. No changes or additional parts required. I’m going this way, I don’t need adjustment in the front end. Happy with the 1 inch drop from the Teins. The rears I can adjust . I just don’t want the stiff springs that are part of the coil over kits
Do you happen to have the part number for the QA1? I tried to find it on there site but I didn't really want to look through 32 pages... Also, what size tires and wheels are you running? Have you noticed any issues with the 1" drop while going over speed bumps or anything?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
GS601 is the rear shocks I bought.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Can also look at viking a276 or better yet a576HF.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts