Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some brembos and I want to take them to the powdercoater next week and I know that I need to remove the pistons and seals before having it done. I have taken apart many calipers in the past and It appears I should be able to tackle these with no problem.

My question is, why shouldnt I seperate the front and rear half of the caliper? It looks like doing this would make it a little bit easier to remove and replace the pistons and seals. I have seen a few post regarding this issue and some people said DO NOT separate them but didn't elaborate on why or what to be cautious of. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
141 Posts
My only concern would be obtaining a total seal once they are reassembled.

I have rebuilt old calipers and have separated them (4 piston) and have had no trouble with getting them to work.

Its a risk but it sounds like you are comfortable taking it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that would definetely be a concern on the calipers that have internal ports for the brake fluid but these appear to have an external line linking the two halves. Unless maybe they have both internal ports as well at the external one????

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yea do not split them it's too much of a hassle

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
do the pistons and seals have to come out??

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.