Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the first set of band clamps that are directly behind the mid-muffler are shot. I can't seem to get them to seal around the smaller pipe (lap joint), and there is a noticeable gap and soot from the leak. One is actually allowing the pipe to slide back about 1" in the joint (Every other day, I have to push the tips forward to slide the pipe back into place). I'm not sure what I did wrong to cause this, but it seems the clamps are just stretched out. I can't tighten them any further. Anyone else ever experience this?

I'm wondering if I get new band clamps, if it would be better to get the pre-formed ones for lap joints (see below)

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
They are going to leak. There's really no way they are going to seal completely. Most of mine have very small leaks as well. The Corsa exhaust and the clamps they use are no different. The only way to completely seal them is to weld the pipes together.

·
G8 GT GUY
745 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
My first set of clamps at that mid muffler joint leaked as well. It was through a mistake of my own in trying to tighten the clamps before the pipes were level with each other. I didn't bother to level both sides to each other so that the clamp can smoothly and evenly squeeze and form to both pipes. The weight of the pipes on each other will cause them to sag and create a slight V if that makes sense and pushing up on both sides so that they tuck up closer to the car and make a smooth transition from one pipe to the next.

Napa sells the clamps at about 8-10 bucks each so I bought two more and the orange high temp gasket sealer. I used a floor jack to level the pipes the second time and that combined with the sealer, I have zero leaks at all.

I emailed Steve in detail about this to hopefully include this in their instructions so that more people don't run into this leak issue, but that may not have happened yet. Best of luck to you.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Hello and thanks for the post. Making sure the pipes are level is key to getting a proper seal. Condensation will always find it's way through. It's normal for any exhaust. If you want absolutely nothing coming out of the seams, then getting it welded is the only way, but the clamps, when lined up and torqued to 60 ft/lbs do a good enough job to not sacrifice any power or sound. Water dripping out is very normal. Some of the suggestions above would also help without having to get them welded.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and thanks for the post. Making sure the pipes are level is key to getting a proper seal. Condensation will always find it's way through. It's normal for any exhaust. If you want absolutely nothing coming out of the seams, then getting it welded is the only way, but the clamps, when lined up and torqued to 60 ft/lbs do a good enough job to not sacrifice any power or sound. Water dripping out is very normal. Some of the suggestions above would also help without having to get them welded.
Thanks for the info! I'll try again with new clamps and the silicone, because right now the pipe is sliding back out of joint (causing the tips to stick out more than desired).

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
the exhaust of solo catbacks are 2.5" but I don't know if the clamps are a specific designation or what... just trying to help here...

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
I am going to replace a few. It's been a while... what size are the clamps?
They are 2.5" clamps. The J pipe clamps are 2.25".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts