Pontiac G8 Forum banner

problem with instrument cluster, need help asap.

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Raysg8 
#1 ·
well i got a friend of mine that installed a tvs1900 supercharger along with the magnavolt, injectors, kooks headers w/ full cat back exhaust, a/f wideband gauge, boost gauge, and fuel pressure gauge with the jhp gauge pod, and the shop that is doing the install ran into a slight problem... so it so happens that the car starts and turns on fine, radio and windows and other electronics work fine aswell, the only problem is that the speedo, rpm gauge, fuel level gauge, and temp. gauge dont turn on at all but the check engine light is on. we cant find the problem and well my friend already posted it in another section but i thought this section would be more appropriate, the shop thats installing everything has looked for anything possible that could be cause this but we cant seem to find the problem, i would like information or anything you think could be causing the problem that way i can run it to the shop owner so they can check it out, btw has anyone else had this problem???

#2 ·
Where did they tap into the wiring for all of the electronics? Did they check all fuses? Did they check for loosely grounded ground wires? You install a lot of stuff all at once, it could be any number of things possibly causing that unless someone else here has seen that same issue...

#3 ·
Like what, what have you checked? PCM? BCM? Fuses? Cut wires from the gauge installs? How are all the gauges powered? Did you take the dash out?

Way to may things to have gone wrong.

Do you get the DIC on?

Have you done a self test in Maintenance mode? With the car off hold in the left steering wheel button and then start the car at the same time. The self test is the last thing on the list.

#4 ·
well they've checked all the fuses and all grounded wires and everything is working fine and grounded fine, ill tell them to double check it tomorrow and see if maybe they over looked something, they have already taken the cluster out to make sure everything is connected right and nothing is loose or not connected and everything is in place where it should be. what is the DIC?

#7 ·
This is one of the pitfalls of installing too many things at once...

#10 ·
first suggestion - find another speed shop that knows what they're doing and/or has done a similar build before on a G8 or similar GM vehicle - have them dive iinto it. If that isn't possible you may have to seek out a dealer.

#12 ·
worst case they might have to start removing things one at a time to determine what is causing the issue if all fuses and wiring has been double and trippled checked...

#13 ·
The cluster is getting power if the CEL is on.
Isn't the CEL feed a dedicated line into the IPC? It seems to me on most newer vehicles the CEL is independent of the rest of the data that the IPC uses to display data, which would explain why the IPC might be dead, but CEL would still come on.

Besides, if the CEL is on, check the code. I bet you'll find a U1000 code between the IPC and the ECM. If that's the case, I would assume a data line has been cut/broken/tampered with.

#15 ·
Not sure if this will help but disconnect the battery and see what happens! It's a long shot but just might help to reset something!
If not i would take it straight to the dealership and have them look at it. The speed shop should cover the bill!

This is one reason i try to do most mods myself and if i can't do it myself i print out as much info as possible just in case! Well i hope your friend get's it fixed and that one or our suggestions works.

#16 ·
Yeah I would be a little upset myself if a speed shop were in such a quandry and didn't seem to have the forsight to seek out professional assistance...I sure hope they didn't "fry" anything electronically that isn't easily repaired...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.