Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all is used in installing the procharger crank pulley to the harmonic balancer? My balancer broke while we torqued down the crank pulley. Is there a spacer in between the 2 or does it just sit inside the balancer with the new pc crank bolt and 6 bolts w/cam locks? :whine:

·
Registered
775 Posts
No spacer. After you pin the crank, simply line up the procharger pulley inside your crank pulley. Tighten up the cam locks and you are good to go.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No spacer. After you pin the crank, simply line up the procharger pulley inside your crank pulley. Tighten up the cam locks and you are good to go.
For some reason mine did not fit inside the balancer flush...but i have a new balancer so maybe that will correct the problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your balancer could have been bad, many have had a wobbly stock crank pulley. That would cause you not to line up flush.

Hope it goes well. I'm lovin this blower so far. (11.5lbs)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your balancer could have been bad, many have had a wobbly stock crank pulley. That would cause you not to line up flush.

Hope it goes well. I'm lovin this blower so far. (11.5lbs)
Well I still have a problem with a gap and a washer has to be used...it seems the procharger crank pulley was machined alil short I think. do you think you could take a close up picture of you crank pulley for me in your free time? Rick and I are baffled with this....

·
Registered
775 Posts
No problem.
I also remember when I ordered my kit, procharger told me there pulleys were on back order. I waited almost 3 weeks for the pulley. I thinking due to quality reasons.

If this one doesn't seat properly, I would contact procharger about another pulley.

I also remember the back of my pulley surface was not flat, it had almost 1/16 or an 1/8 raised surface in the back that went into out stock pulley to sit flush.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem.
I also remember when I ordered my kit, procharger told me there pulleys were on back order. I waited almost 3 weeks for the pulley. I thinking due to quality reasons.

If this one doesn't seat properly, I would contact procharger about another pulley.

I also remember the back of my pulley surface was not flat, it had almost 1/16 or an 1/8 raised surface in the back that went into out stock pulley to sit flush.
The new balancer (poor quality) I got wouldn't work either.... contacted procharger today, seems I got a bad procharger crank pulley. The raised part you speak of is there but its still too short and a washer is needed if used to sit flush. PC tried to blame me for having an 09, but mine came stock with the same thick spoke balancer as the 08s. And now Im searching for a thick spoke oem balancer as we speak.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
Well, new balancer and .300" in spacers got the job done. Blower pulley runs true. There are more people with this issue than just you. The pulley is machined correctly according to their blueprint so others will either have blower pulley wobble or eventually break the balancer from this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Well, new balancer and .300" in spacers got the job done. Blower pulley runs true. There are more people with this issue than just you. The pulley is machined correctly according to their blueprint so others will either have blower pulley wobble or eventually break the balancer from this issue.
good to hear!

Looking forward to this weekend!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Have you driven the car yet Rick? Prochargers are very violent up top.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I called ATI this week to look for a solution to the crappy harmonic balancer.

$400 bucks get you an ATI pulley that supports that stock Procharger pulley and bolts right up according to them. They also pin from the side instead of from the front, so you can remove the pulley and put it back on without having to pin it every time. I'm ordering mine this Friday. My BRAND NEW GM pulley wobbles more than a washing machine with an unbalanced load.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called ATI this week to look for a solution to the crappy harmonic balancer.

$400 bucks get you an ATI pulley that supports that stock Procharger pulley and bolts right up according to them. They also pin from the side instead of from the front, so you can remove the pulley and put it back on without having to pin it every time. I'm ordering mine this Friday. My BRAND NEW GM pulley wobbles more than a washing machine with an unbalanced load.
Do you remember the part number they told you for that ati balancer?

AND THANK YOU RICK FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Yep - here's the info they gave me:

917246 damper
918993 pin kit

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
It better work out awesome! I'm going to be upset if I need to repin the GM one... lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It better work out awesome! I'm going to be upset if I need to repin the GM one... lol
I hope it works for you cause they gave me a different answer when I asked what I should do.
They told me i should use the 918853(fbody) balancer but have them put a 916032 (vette) hub on the back. lol brutespeed sells this exact balancer set up for older ctsv.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
545 Posts
dctg8 - Did you get everything accomplished for this weekend? What are you hoping for with this setup 10.8-9?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dctg8 - Did you get everything accomplished for this weekend? What are you hoping for with this setup 10.8-9?
Its up and running it was tight but its going to make it. injectors are lil big on my part lol anything in the 10s is good with me. sounds like a jet now though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts