Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanatic
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from Brandon at Pypes asking me to come down to the shop to do the final check fit on the production Pypes axle-backs. All I can say is, it was worth the wait!

The entire unit is polished to a beautiful finish and the double wall tips really make a nice statement at the rear. I will get some better pics when the car is clean but the weather didn't agree with me today.

To be honest, they even sound just a bit better than the pre-production units that I had on the car. Same great tone with just enough muscle sound.

Brandon was also very professional to deal with and def. took care of me and my car. Big thumbs up!!!!

Pics!

·
Ride Orange
255 Posts
Looks great, and I bet they sound great too!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Awesome, can't wait, please hurry up UPS!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow morning and I can't wait !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to let everyone know, the Pypes Axle Backs are still on sale at the Introductory Price of $239.

This sale is only available to G8BOARD MEMBERS!

You can not go to our website to purchase these at this price. You must PM, Email, or contact me direct at Pypes.

Pypes Exhaust
(800) 421-3890
[email protected]

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do you have a video or sound clip available?

Andy

·
Pontiac Fanatic
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After getting the productions installed, have you experienced any drone and if so how bad is it?
The only drone I experience was around 70mph (1800rpm) but only under mild load with the throttle (V8 mode). Think of going up an incline on the highway to maintain speed and you will get an idea what situation I'm speaking about. Honestly, it is pretty mild and everyone that has been in the car didn't mind it, including my mother-in-law :) . In most instances, I don't experience any drone from the system.

In AFM on the highway, there is a distant hum but I wouldn't call this drone. I do have a tune and intake on my car which may or may not effect the actual load the engine is put under mild throttle.

Bottom line, I wouldn't have these on my car if I was not pleased with my pre-production units.

Here is the video posted in another thread with the pre-production units.

·
Hawthorne Engine 1
889 Posts
x2 on the sound clip

·
Hawthorne Engine 1
889 Posts
not bad.. You posted right as I did lol

are they in NJ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Picked mine up this morning and had them installed by noon....sound really good !!!

Look good wish there was a thicker rolled lip on the tip, just a thought.

Install was quick and painless, 15M ratcheting one end wrench.

Need to run it on the highway to see if there is any drone, should know by tonite.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Picked mine up this morning and had them installed by noon....sound really good !!!

Look good wish there was a thicker rolled lip on the tip, just a thought.

Install was quick and painless, 15M ratcheting one end wrench.

Need to run it on the highway to see if there is any drone, should know by tonite.
Nice. No welding? Did you have a lift to do this yourself?

And yes, plesae let us know about the sound/drone if any while cruising between 65-75.

I am sooooo close to ordering these...

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's a great price compared to Magnaflows but I'm worried about the drone.

I'll be anxious for a report out.

Did you get the classic burble at start up and idle? Do they stay on the mild side (like GXP exhuasts) or do they get loud?

·
Registered
529 Posts
First the good news....Easy as pie taking them off and on, they look and sound great !!!

Now the bad news...The drone was not to my liking, had the wife in the car and we both agreed to take them off. I hated the shutoff with AFM, sounded horrible.

Around town and at idle these Pypes sound awesome, but this is my daily driver so most of my driving is at 65-75.

Maybe it was just me being overly critical....Im anxious to hear what the others think.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
First the good news....Easy as pie taking them off and on, they look and sound great !!!

Now the bad news...The drone was not to my liking, had the wife in the car and we both agreed to take them off. I hated the shutoff with AFM, sounded horrible.

Around town and at idle these Pypes sound awesome, but this is my daily driver so most of my driving is at 65-75.

Maybe it was just me being overly critical....Im anxious to hear what the others think.
Oh man, that's too bad. I also do most of my driving between 65 and 75. I would hate to have a bad sound during my commute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow there really seems to be some difference in opinion about the drone level on these. Some people are claiming NO drone while others are claiming the drone is bad enough that they can't even tolerate it. I'll be anxious to hear some more opinions. The price is right on these things, thats for sure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts