Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
First the good news....Easy as pie taking them off and on, they look and sound great !!!

Now the bad news...The drone was not to my liking, had the wife in the car and we both agreed to take them off. I hated the shutoff with AFM, sounded horrible.

Around town and at idle these Pypes sound awesome, but this is my daily driver so most of my driving is at 65-75.

Maybe it was just me being overly critical....Im anxious to hear what the others think.
Thanks, I guess I'm back to Magnaflow streets. (either cat back or axle backs). I've haven't heard of major drone complaints with them - just minor anoyances.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow there really seems to be some difference in opinion about the drone level on these. Some people are claiming NO drone while others are claiming the drone is bad enough that they can't even tolerate it. I'll be anxious to hear some more opinions. The price is right on these things, thats for sure.
All aftermarket exhausts have some type of drone. A lot of people even think the street series of Magnaflows have drone. As for myself, I can feel/hear AFM kicking on with the STOCK exhaust. I'm pretty sensitive to drone. I should get my Pypes on Friday and post and update on the sound here.

·
Meh
118 Posts
i like the sound...i have some drone going up hill with light throttle.....but my major complaint is that the right side tip is crooked by like 10-15 degrees.

·
Meh
118 Posts
i don't remember really.. muffler looks even on both side tho. I'm gonna take the right side off this weekend to check it out

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just got my system, and it looks awesome! My hangers also look crooked though and one side is more crooked than the other, but will see how they fit tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my system today and I put it on tonight. Everything was very simple and looks great. Everything looks to have lined up correctly. I think it only took me about 30 minutes to put them on without raising the car. Sounds really nice also. I am pleased so far. I will know more tomorrow when I can take if for a longer drive. So far so good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just got mine installed....on my back in the apartment parking lot with a flashlight.... Really like the sound, but definitely a hum and not a throaty rumble at idle, WOT it sounds great.... Will be looking for some upgrades upstream thought, gotta get rid of that first muffler and the resonators......

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Got mine put on today. Here's a sound clip of start up and idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxykyXpUms

Easy 30 minute install with no ramps or jacks and one 15mm wrench. The hangers are not quite aligned properly, but the fit ok and are even and centered in the bumper cut outs. These mufflers look beautiful, fully polished stainless. These production units seem quieter than the prototypes I had on the car. Love the deep tone at idle. No guess whether the car is running with these.
Will have to evaluate once I get a chance to take them on the highway, but a quick coffee run this morning indicates some drone in the 1700-2000 range, as some have already stated. Not really annoying, and no more than the SLP LM1 on my 04 GTO.

Overall satisfied, and have very much enjoyed working with the guys at Pypes.

mac

·
Be EzE
745 Posts
drone what drone?

I just put mine on this morning and did a combination of a few different runs.

-Around Town

A bit of drone through 1800-2000 RPM but it isnt that bad at all. seems to stem from 2nd gear. But once through the gear it is very mellow

-Highway

I stepped on it and it sounded great! brought it to the mysterious AFM zone and yeah it does sound weird, but NO DRONE. Actually I could barely even tell I had an aftermarket exhaust on.

Other than having a wickedly crooked passenger side exhaust tip, they went on easily and without any problems. FYI Best way to get to the bolts are from the side. The top bolt does require an extention.

All of my experience with drone was on my Grand Prix with delta 40 flowmasters that drone everywhere across the powerband. Enough so that my wife and kids hated it. It would literally drown out the bass coming from my subs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm going to try putting them back on this weekend and give it another shot.
I really hope I just have a bad set, I've asked another forum member to have a listen.
Maybe the frequency range is just bothersome to me, I really like how these look and want to keep them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Other than having a wickedly crooked passenger side exhaust tip, they went on easily and without any problems. FYI Best way to get to the bolts are from the side. The top bolt does require an extention.
My passenger side is way off as well. How did you get yours straight?

ScottE

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just noticed my passenger side hangs a little lower than the driver side... but other than that its good.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Other than having a wickedly crooked passenger side exhaust tip, they went on easily and without any problems.
My passenger side is way off as well. How did you get yours straight?

ScottE
Just noticed my passenger side hangs a little lower than the driver side... but other than that its good.
Sounds like there may be a manufacturing issue with the right side. Mine bolted up fine and are both centered in the bumper cut out, but the right side looks as if the tip was welded on crooked. Not much, but it is noticeable.
Because of the way these are made, it has to be the tip because they bolt right up to the flange and there is no way to turn them, like if it was clamped with a slip type joint. I already sent a PM to Brandon. For you guys with crooked tips, I would do the same.

mac

·
Registered
529 Posts
My right side sticks out too far and lower, tried adjusting numerous times no luck.....Im not very happy with the drone either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Pypes axle-back mufflers, BUT I want to delete first muffler and two bullet resonators.... and replace with an X-pipe/straight pipe.... Any comments or guesses if I will get more throatiness and less hum???

·
Banned
7,067 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just put mine on today. Took me one hour with no jackstands. Keep in mind this is the first exhaust I have ever installed. It would have been 1/2 hour, but I could not find a way to get the hangers off without unscrewing the 2 13mm bolt hanger holder assembly. An insteresting observation is I fired up the car after I took off the stock exhaust and before I put on the Pypes. I would say the startup and idle sounded as good as with Pypes. I should have probably driven around like that a bit to see what it would sound like, but I didn't.

At least for me the Pypes hangers needed to go into different hanger holes than the stock exhaust in order to be on center. Fit an finish is great. My tips are aligned and centered properly even though hanger looked crooked before they went on the car.

I took it for a 45 minute test drive and here are my impressions:
- Around town sounds really good. Nice and deep with a great sounding WOT. AFM around town doesn't sound that much different than AFM on the stock exhaust.
- On the freeway it's mostly good with a couple of exceptions. It seems that there is a slight drone between 70 and 75. I would say between 1600-1800 rpm. DOD just sounds weird at higher speeds with this system. Going 80 or more is great and not much different than the stock system. Now if only traffic allowed it all the time :)

I will need to evaluate it for a couple of weeks to see if the drone/DOD sound becomes an annoyance. I hope not because it only happens under specific conditions.

·
Hawthorne Engine 1
889 Posts
glad to hear you like it.. I am still debating on what I want when I can afford it...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts