Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I'm cheap, so far I have less than $20 into it.

I've read the other several threads but they are long dead. I'm curious if anyone is still interested in this idea? I've figured out the circuit and mocked up a set of momentary switches that successfully shift the transmission into "sport" mode and also cycle through the gears in manual mode. I had this set up on my car last night and was able to go up and down with my stock TUTD and also the "proof of concept" momentary buttons/circuit. The plan is to be able to use either paddles or stick to TUTD when complete. It's rough right now, but would be cleaned up considerable if/when I figure out a set of paddles that will work. No point making it pretty if I can't get a set of paddles that work :)

Couple things I'm thinking, and hope to get help with.

paddle shifters, the physical part. One option is to use corvette paddles (or some other similar paddle) that mount to the steering wheel. Unfortunately this requires extra conductors inside the clockspring (or some sort of wireless set up). I've done a ton of searching and can't find any wiring info on our clockspring. Minimum requirement of 1 extra conductor, best case scenario of 3 extra conductors (or losing some radio functionality) If only 1 conductor is available, I believe it will end up being either paddles or shifter to TUTD, not both.

Second idea, and the one I prefer, is to use a column mounted set of paddles. This is what I'm working on now. Much easier wiring, no need to get into steering wheels and clocksprings (and potentially re calibrating SWPS etc.) The only stock one I've found that looks promising is from Infinity, damn near $300. Has anyone seen, heard of, or tried a column mount paddle?

Thanks for any input, hoping this isn't long lost and going nowhere!

Rob

By the way, this is intended for track driving. Please don't tell me how stupid it is or I'm better off using "sport" mode... I've read all that already :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Google paddle shifter system. Someone already makes a wheel with paddles mounted and some wiring and electronics. Also available for true manual cars via hydraulics mounted to the shift mechanism.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your talking about Master shift. These aren't recommended for stock wheels that use airbags. The ones that can be used are FUGLY buttons that strap to the steering wheel. It's also pretty pricey at around $700.

Also, TCI and generica type shifters won't work with our stock system. Most if not all are designed to bolt to the column behind the steering wheel, making it worthless for street use and stock wheels (that maintain airbag functionality)

I wish it was that easy..... The only thing that looks close is the aftermarket Infinity or Nissan systems. Pretty pricey at ! $500.

I don't mind spending money, but for that coin I want pretty and perfect with full functionality of stock systems.

·
Have Bar Will Travel
716 Posts
if you do column mounted you might could make your own. I mean all they are are levers for switches right, just like what's used on the PC steering wheel controls.

just a random thought. and I've wondered about this since I've bought the g8.

OH and another thing, most of us don't use the buttons for Onstar. So that might be a path for you.

I also don't like monkeying with the clock spring idea either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah looks like I'll have to fab up something. ran through a couple prototypes yesterday but none that felt good enough to move forward on.

couple more ideas to work on. was hoping for a quick and easy plug and play type solution so others could take advantage that don't have fabrication skills. oh well.....

Rob

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The 2010 through current model year of the Chevrolet Camaro has the six speed automatic transmission which includes the TAPshift manual shift controls on the steering available on the SS trim level.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i looked into those. Steering Wheel is the key phrase, might go that route later if I can't figure out a good column mount set up.

thanks for the replies, gives me a bit to think about.

Hoping to have time this weekend to work on mounts/levers/switches. There is room under the column trim to mount things.... but not much. I have a couple ideas kicking around just have to find time to spend in the garage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
column mounted FTW! i'll tell you why, make a left or right turn in a camaro or corvette. Guess what until the wheel is back to straight ahead have fun trying to find the paddles and if you find them and the wheel is upside down you will downshift. If i am not mistaken ferrari and lambo mount them to the column as well?

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
column mounted FTW! i'll tell you why, make a left or right turn in a camaro or corvette. Guess what until the wheel is back to straight ahead have fun trying to find the paddles and if you find them and the wheel is upside down you will downshift. If i am not mistaken ferrari and lambo mount them to the column as well?
Your right Lambo and Ferrari are column...
You don't want to mistake a downshift when you need to upshift...
Although... the Gallardo does sound sexy when you double tap down 2 gears...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have finished the working prototype. Very slick indeed to shift with paddles :) Column mounted and fully functional. Have also retained full functionality on the TUTD shifter etc.

paddle mounts are in rough condition, going to make a mold and try to cast pieces that fit into the space better.

another challenge is making paddles that are attractive and durable, somehow tie them into to interior design. Ideally, you won't be able to tell they were added on, very much want a "factory" look.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On one hand I've succeeded, the paddles work perfectly. The circuit is simple, a series of voltage dividers.

On the other hand, it's a bit of a failure visually. It looks very rough.

Not sure how to post photo's, I'll snap a couple. Maybe someone will have inspiration on how to make things "pretty" Never posted pics before, I'll try to get some up in the next couple days.

Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, I think I got it right here. Be gentle, and please if you have any inspiration.... I'm open to suggestions. It is fully functional and intended to be buried under the column trim pieces. The idea is to drill 2 small holes in the top plastic bit for the posts to stick through, then attach the paddles. Figure on using grommets to cover any gaps etc.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts