Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trans took a crap as some of you know. So yesterday I finalley had some time to pull it.
But first, last summer I changed my Oil and on startup I heard a strange sound? I raised it back up then quikly back down to shut it off.
Ifound my tourqe converter bolts that yank supplied were loose.

so I ordered new bolts from my local gm dealer and locktited them in with high temp lock tight and tourqed to spec. to make a long story short ... they were loose again and one came all the way out. all the wobbleing in there ruined my tranny, pump, driveplate and stall are shot for sure. haven't opened it up yet to see the rest of the damage. I'm going to call yank monday and see if they are willing to work with me and at least adress the converter and bolt issue. I think he should be willing to redo my converter for free at the very least. Here are the pics
nitrous 001.jpg car

nitrous 002.jpg converter

nitrous 003.jpg bolt jammed

nitrous 004.jpg bolt

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Damn that sucks, hope everything gets resolved. Maybe they will be nice enough to step up and cover some stuff.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they do I will stand by them as a repudable company. If not, well you get the picture. I will go with circle d. Rick Crawford said they can make me a tighter converter. the yank was always too loose

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and this really is my daily driver. I beat it to death. time to let up on her a little. But just a little :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You have a three year warranty with Yank. Dave will tell you he makes the best converter. :) Circle D and Yank are not friendly competitors to say the least. Dave will most likely tell you that it is not the converter. It is your transmission. Then he will tell you there are only a couple of shops in the USA that know how to build the 6L80E. He will push Century Transmission. Just keep cool with him as after his spiel he will tell you to send in your converter. You will pay shipping both ways. He will cut and clean it and do one restall within the first twelve months for free. I went from 3600 to 4000. It was a bit too much on the street. So I just repaid him 275 or so to go back to 3600 plus shipping both ways. I just told him to computer balance it. He stated they are all balanced before they leave the shop. Find the cause of it backing off with the locktite on the bolts. Maybe a bad flex plate??? Make sure the input shaft on the transmission is straight and installed correctly??? Let us know what happened and if you find the cause of all of this. Good luck, it is frustrating!

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is just a theory... I know you drive the car hard and it being a 3600 stall, probably gets pretty hot... Wondering if all the heat from the converter is what caused the bolts to loosen over time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ouch, hopefully they will repair it, shoulve gotten the oem green lock tite like i did. lol jk but thats what i used.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking dan

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
For what its worth, I had a truck at work that did the same thing to me. Heard a chirping and the touq converter bolts were loose to. They tightind them up and kept cracking the flywheel . My guess was when they put the motor in and the bolts came loose it tweeked the input shaft . Thinking when the bolts came loose the wooble it most likely did, is what happened to yours

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
on your converter, is the cover billet?... or still the stamped?... i would agree with the ballooning on a stamped cover... but if billet, i would doubt it... i would think they will say the converter was not properly set right and tightened up from the install... but these are things that happen...

good luck in getting it all fixed up!!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That sucks . Hope they work with yuh.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Both yank and d are great converter companies just don't get too tied up with it was the converters fault. I've never had one loosen up but I've heard of it and it was caused by something going arie during the install. Not saying that you didn't get faulty parts just be open minded when you contact the manufacturer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts