Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the cats removed from my Kooks X-Pipe some time ago...I liked the added exhaust sound I got and the few extra HP I gained but now the smoke from early morning cold starts is starting to get old. It obviously goes away after the engine is warmed up but now I regret getting rid of the cats. What do you guys recommend for getting some cats welded back on? The HFC from the Kooks seem to be very low profile and match the X-Pipe perfectly. Anybody know of any solution to get the same kind of cats welded back on?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well given that it started immediately after the cats were removed I believe that is the cause. It never did it before and I noticed it the 1st morning right after they were removed. I wouldn't really call it "smoke" either, it's more like clear steam or something like that and then gone once warmed up...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I dont think that clear steam will go away with cats. It is most likely water vapor from moisture in your exhaust. Mine does it with cats when its cold outside and my stock truck does it too. What time of year did you have your cats cut off? It might just be a coincidence.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think that clear steam will go away with cats. It is most likely water vapor from moisture in your exhaust. Mine does it with cats when its cold outside and my stock truck does it too. What time of year did you have your cats cut off? It might just be a coincidence.
I think you're right because the exhaust tips are always wet when it happens but it just seems that the lack of cats has exacerbated it. Before the steam would be minor and gone quicker...seems like putting cats back on would reduce that steam effect? :confused:

·
Registered
996 Posts
The smoke is most definitely caused by condensation being burned off your exhaust when you first start your car. It was probably less noticeable when you had cats because cats increase the temperature of your exhaust and therefore would make the moisture burn off quicker.

Personally I wouldn't put cats back on to reduce a minute or two of steam produced from the excess moisture. Once spring time hits you won't even notice it anyways except maybe really early in the morning if its damp out.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts