Pontiac G8 Forum banner

621 - 640 of 665 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Tri-Y headers aren't really desgined (especially these with the 2.5" collector) to be a top end performing header. Unless the OTHER tri-Y was better?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
These are suppose to be good for lower RPM torque. I have the original ones & to me they made a pretty big difference. I did not dyno these but on the seat of my pants I could fell a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For ****s sake, if you don't like them, don't buy them!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I was just curious, since I saw the economic price on them
If I wanted Kooks headers paying a 1000.00 for maybe 10 Hp might be worth it. Not for me but other people will say so.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just don't wanna get them and be disappointed attaining like 20whp from pypes and a tune. You know?
16 hp tune, 10 hp possibly CAI, minimum 11 to 15 HP pypes.37 hp or possibly more RWP or more. I have spent 8500.00 for 91 HP & some suspension upgrades. Hp is not always fast but lots of torque helps.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yeah torque sounds much more better.
How are those 1st Gen going for ya?
Works like a charm, I was considering pacesetters but these were S/S & figured I would try them out. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had my car and my mom's on the dyno after a full tune with Pypes/Manzos and I found that comparatively they yield good results.

My mom's car put down 329 whp and 344 ft-lbs with the only mods being tune and Manzo LTs. Stock airbox and exhaust even. 2.92 rear

Now my car has intake, exhaust and put down an identical 329 whp and 345 ft-lbs with a 3.45 rear instead of a 2.92 on the same dyno. It's a dynojet inertial so if I were to swap back to a 2.92 I'd probably see 345-350 whp. Overall I'm happy with them. I probably won't outgrow them in this car. If I do, I'll be trading out for another car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had my car and my mom's on the dyno after a full tune with Pypes/Manzos and I found that comparatively they yield good results.

My mom's car put down 329 whp and 344 ft-lbs with the only mods being tune and Manzo LTs. Stock airbox and exhaust even. 2.92 rear

Now my car has intake, exhaust and put down an identical 329 whp and 345 ft-lbs with a 3.45 rear instead of a 2.92 on the same dyno. It's a dynojet inertial so if I were to swap back to a 2.92 I'd probably see 345-350 whp. Overall I'm happy with them. I probably won't outgrow them in this car. If I do, I'll be trading out for another car.
Hey was the restrictive collector ever removed from the headers? And why no catback?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey was the restrictive collector ever removed from the headers? And why no catback?
As they are, no header mods. The original collector isn't limiting me at this time. I have semi-custom 2.25" exhaust all the way back. H-pipe then Magnaflow tru-x crossflow muffler and then straight pipes out the back. Staying with the stock stall, even if I cam the car I won't be seeing a ton of power loss with my current setup.

My mom's car has the Manzo's with a stock catback and intake and put down 329/344 with just a tune and headers on the same dyno. Even without a baseline to compare, that is about right for headers without a cam. Rarely does anyone do just headers with no other mods. Full exhaust, intake, LTs and tune is usually 350ish, so even if she's leaving 5-10whp on the table, this was cheaper than replacing her cats. Mileage went up 2mpg and she's got a car that sounds silent and runs 13.4 in the 1/4. There are probably more powerful headers, but not for $220 shipped in stainless that were direct fit.

All in all I expect these headers to be at their limit come 400whp as they are. For guys like me who will probably keep the stock stall and get a custom cam cut or a Vector/Livernois stock stall cam, they are the best value. If you are stalling and/or going huge with the cam profile, they may need to be worked over or scrapped entirely for larger, longer runner headers like maximizers.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As they are, no header mods. The original collector isn't limiting me at this time. I have semi-custom 2.25" exhaust all the way back. H-pipe then Magnaflow tru-x crossflow muffler and then straight pipes out the back. Staying with the stock stall, even if I cam the car I won't be seeing a ton of power loss with my current setup.

My mom's car has the Manzo's with a stock catback and intake and put down 329/344 with just a tune and headers on the same dyno. Even without a baseline to compare, that is about right for headers without a cam. Rarely does anyone do just headers with no other mods. Full exhaust, intake, LTs and tune is usually 350ish, so even if she's leaving 5-10whp on the table, this was cheaper than replacing her cats. Mileage went up 2mpg and she's got a car that sounds silent and runs 13.4 in the 1/4. There are probably more powerful headers, but not for $220 shipped in stainless that were direct fit.

All in all I expect these headers to be at their limit come 400whp as they are. For guys like me who will probably keep the stock stall and get a custom cam cut or a Vector/Livernois stock stall cam, they are the best value. If you are stalling and/or going huge with the cam profile, they may need to be worked over or scrapped entirely for larger, longer runner headers like maximizers.
The person who owns the company has 504RWP so not sure about the 400RWP comment. But I do agree if you want to spend 900.00 for 10hp some people it might think it is worth it. For me any more horse power can
get me in trouble pretty fast. On WOT my car pulls like crazy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The person who owns the company has 504RWP so not sure about the 400RWP comment. But I do agree if you want to spend 900.00 for 10hp some people it might think it is worth it. For me any more horse power can
get me in trouble pretty fast. On WOT my car pulls like crazy.
He might be, I'm not sure. From what I had gathered when I first looked at these the guy who was helping design these mentioned getting big power from these with a supercharger. Boost changes things considerably. For NA use 2.25" exhaust is going to limit you at an earlier point. Stock Camaro SS LS3 cars have 2.5 inch exhaust factory at 436bhp (360whp). I can't see 500whp NA with 2.25 inch exhaust without leaving power untapped. There's probably a good reason that every other header manufacturer for headers has a 2.5-3" collector. A 2.25" collector is going to limit you, but only if you plan on shooting for a bigger cam. I still don't think you'll see it being an issue until you're over 400whp (500 bhp) and they are still the best bang for your buck. Plus you can still mod the collector outlet to 2.5" and eliminate this debate entirely at any point after you install them.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
He might be, I'm not sure. From what I had gathered when I first looked at these the guy who was helping design these mentioned getting big power from these with a supercharger. Boost changes things considerably. For NA use 2.25" exhaust is going to limit you at an earlier point. Stock Camaro SS LS3 cars have 2.5 inch exhaust factory at 436bhp (360whp). I can't see 500whp NA with 2.25 inch exhaust without leaving power untapped. There's probably a good reason that every other header manufacturer for headers has a 2.5-3" collector. A 2.25" collector is going to limit you, but only if you plan on shooting for a bigger cam. I still don't think you'll see it being an issue until you're over 400whp (500 bhp) and they are still the best bang for your buck. Plus you can still mod the collector outlet to 2.5" and eliminate this debate entirely at any point after you install them.
I do not disagree, but for me I do not on plan on getting much more HP as I said earlier TQ is want you want. Start adding headers, CAi & tune even faster. Add the cam with various options this car can get you in trouble really fast. Even though I have only have 391 RWP this car in sports mode is pretty dam fast.

621 - 640 of 665 Posts