Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a Solo catback, but I can't really decide which to go with. Most of the threads I see about the catbacks are from the V8 crowd, which doesn't help me because I'm missing two cylinders... My main concerns are balanced vs. unbalanced and regular vs. shorty. Which would best suit the V6 engine, and what if any difference in sound and harmonics would there be between them? Catback owners and exhaust experts please chime in...

·
F1rehawk
764 Posts
Based on their website it seems you really only have one option for the exhaust which is the axle-back. They don't seem to make balanced/unbalanced for the V6.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the catbacks are made for the V8s, but they also bolt up to the V6s as well, I really just wanted to know if any one would be better than the other to suit the smaller engine.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I ended up doing mine custom.

·
Registered
231 Posts
IMO, the Solo axle back for a V6 is the ONLY exhaust that doesn't sound like a fart can.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Much of it depends on where the small exhaust holes are located. Might be worthwhile taking it to a muffler shop and getting their opinion as to whether is it repairable (removing that section and welding a piece in place) or not. However, if the majority of the exhaust is in poor condition it's probably best to find a suitable replacement since the cost is relatively reasonable. Good luck.

·
Vendor
400 Posts
We have never tried to install the GT systems on a V6. If they do fit you would want a Mach balanced system for sure. Keep in mind the axleback was designed and tuned to work with the V6. It might sound the best. That being said if you're ready to order stop by our site and order from a site sponsor.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
We have never tried to install the GT systems on a V6. If they do fit you would want a Mach balanced system for sure. Keep in mind the axleback was designed and tuned to work with the V6. It might sound the best. That being said if you're ready to order stop by our site and order from a site sponsor.
The solo axle back bolt right up to the V6s, I've put them on. I have custom straight pipes on mine sounds ok can get raspy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts