Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess you can say I'm a bit of a noobie when it comes to the G8 world. My G8GT only has about 450 miles on it.

I understand that certain exaust systems can cause drone at x RPMs. This I know because I have an old '68 Dodge as a fun car with a big block under the hood that has an exaust system which tends to drone at the 1200-1500 rpm range. But I don't care since that's not a daily driver. What happens if you add aftermarket exaust and the AFM kicks in. Would that in itself create drone or make a drone condition worse? Or does the car suddenly sound like a 4-banger? :confused:

Ed B.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
The AFM drone is a bit different. Just a slightly different tone. Some folks aren't bothered by it, some hate it. I found it annoying and had the AFM turned off.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The G8's stock exhaust was obviously designed specifically to quiet the drone caused when AFM kicks in. I say this because it sounds like most aftermarket catback systems will have some sort of drone when cruising and AFM kicks in.

People have tried many things to get rid of it when they put on an aftermarket catback, with varying degrees of success and failure (i.e. from no drone, to slight drone but acceptable, to hate the drone and went back to stock). Others have tried keeping the mufflers but going with axlebacks or straight pipes.

Your best bet is to try and get a ride from someone who has an aftermarket system and says there is no drone and see for yourself if it works for your ears. But I've concluded from reading here that the only true non-drone system is probably the stock system. Once you modify, there will most likely be some change in sound created when AFM kicks in and only you can decide if it's not noticeable, barely noticeable, or unacceptable.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
491 Posts
With my Magnaflow street cat-back and Roto-Fab CAI, AFM sounds and feels like driving over a temporary steel "waffle" bridge. I finally disabled it, not so much because I dislike the V4 sound, but because I really enjoy the V8 sound. I suspect the convoluted intake plumbing on the front of the engine was motivated by AFM resonances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts