Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to to order the Breyton GTS rims 20x9 front and 20x10 for the rears. I've been doing a lot of research on wheel weight unsrpung vs sprung etc. seems there are legitimate arguments on both sides regarding how much it affects acceleration.

I've seen the numbers and math. But im asking those with first hand experience. Did you notice or feel a difference in acceleration? Little, a lot?

And how about the cornering and handling, smoothness/roughness of ride? Im going from 18s to the 20s and was hoping for some insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I went from 18 to 20 and it was hard to say. Went from RSA's to a better wider tire. You feel more of the road but with more rubber its better handling. I really didn't notice being slower since u was getting traction and launching after the Swap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
933 Posts
The rears on my new wheels are heavier, but I don't notice any difference. As you can see in the link that Jerminator posted there's not much difference if you go a little bigger/heavier.

Now, if you went to 22" big chrome things, it'd be bad. :)

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Here's a good comparo 20's & 22's. Although the sizes are larger, the results should be somewhat similar.

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
I can't say that my butt dyno noticed a drop in performance when I but on the camaro 20s but I know I am losing some. Although the camaro wheels look really good I dont think it will be my final setup. Ill probly try to find a lighter 19" wheel for my next setup. I think Im losing .2 at the track from these wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a thought;
Stock wheels are assumed hever than after market, and we know about the use of the word assume. But most wheels are cast and should be lighter than a forge unit. Also rubber is heavy so what you gain in weight with a rim you lose in side wall hight. Then if you are running steam rollers you need to take that into account. Every tire Company has different weight do to thier construction. JUST MY 2 CENTS. :cool:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nice video SRG! Likewise, I may have lost a little going from stock 19s to the 20s I've got but I don't really notice it. If I start doing autocross stuff I might look at a different wheel though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting.

My GXP wheel with OEM worn out 245/40-19 Bridgestone summer tire weights 52lbs, OEM HSV GTS 20"x9.5" with 285/30-20 Continental DWS weights 76lbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts