Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question regarding rim size/tires with traction.

By summer the car will be complete, 2300 maggie/ 1:1 cog (3:1 later probably), and cam.

I'm looking into summer rims and tires, the breytons are looking mighty good to me in the 20s. I want to run 305s out the rear with a staggered setup. My question is simple.

If I'm looking at 500+ at the wheels, would having heavier rims/tires be an advantage in helping me plant the rear for traction? I realize a lot of folks go lighter rims for 1/4 time advantages, but I'm looking for more traction in the rear with the power comin out, plus I love the look of 20s.

Tire/rim gurus please assist me. Much appreciation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Less is always more when dealing with unsprung weight. Plus, you're reducing rotational mass. Less weight=better acceleration and handling.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If your looking for traction, always go as small of wheel as possible with taller sidewall... 18" for street would be so much better than 20"..... you have plenty of weight already :).....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Less is always more when dealing with unsprung weight. Plus, you're reducing rotational mass. Less weight=better acceleration and handling.
Right on. Kind of like doin a 520 chain conversion on a rocket. Droppin rotational mass. Thanks for the tip.

If your looking for traction, always go as small of wheel as possible with taller sidewall... 18" for street would be so much better than 20"..... you have plenty of weight already :).....
What about 19s? I'd like some looks as well. You calling me fat? :rolleyes:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
If the outside diameter of your tire is staying 26.7 inches, it is okay to run a 20in rim vs an 18 as long as the combined weight of the rim and tire are the same.

I dunno, I try not to get caught up on the whole rotational mass thing because not all rim/tire combos weigh the same obviously. My 20X10in rim with a 285 tire weighs 3lbs less than the stock 19X8 with 245 tire. At your power level traction is going to be non existent on the street with out a DR in 1st and 2nd gear anyway, so just ride what looks best on your car.

On a side note I just recently pulled 1.75 60fts with my 20in rim and 285 street tires with a stall. Prior to the stall my last trip to the track on those same street tires got me consistent 1.8X 60fts.

·
I kinda like G8's
9 Posts
I have the 19" BE by Breyton rims on mine. I think they fit the car well, I do have the Eibach springs so it does sit about an inch or so lower but the 19's fit nice. As far as tires for traction... get an extra set of drag only rims and tires. I have a ProCharged G8 and I don't think you could put enough tire on the 19's to get traction at the strip. I didn't build it for the strip but took a couple passes, but traction was an issue.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 19" BE by Breyton rims on mine. I think they fit the car well, I do have the Eibach springs so it does sit about an inch or so lower but the 19's fit nice. As far as tires for traction... get an extra set of drag only rims and tires. I have a ProCharged G8 and I don't think you could put enough tire on the 19's to get traction at the strip. I didn't build it for the strip but took a couple passes, but traction was an issue.
I think the breytons look sick. I've got pedders oe ride height springs goin on. Should drop 3/4" front just under 1" rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts